State Tax Research Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Has anyone found a good and reasonably priced tax research service that provides information pertaining to how states treat BUSINESS entities, establish nexus (not just sales tax, which is readily available for free), etc.?

I have it available through one of my sources for individuals, but state-specific tax treatment for business entities. I looked into CCH's State Reporter and with the way they bundle crap, it is over $9k/year--asinine! I do not spend anywhere close to that between CPE, insurance, Parker, Bradford, TaxBook, LaCerte, SmartVault, etc...

I think I paid around $800 last time around for CCH AnswerConnect with the State SmartCharts bundle. I don't get any kind of commentary/analysis with my subscription though. Just access to the authoritative guidance with the smartcharts.

I don't really think the state tax reporter is necessary. The SmartCharts give you the citation to state statute so you can do further reading outside of CCH.

CCH sales people have a tendency to start the conversation off with the full monty package. i.e. the $10k package for one practitioner. But at the end of the day the sales person just wants to make a sale. Tell them what your budget is and what you need. They'll do their best to make it happen.

Return to Business Operations and Development