Extended tax season?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
sjrcpa  
And on Wednesday when they need to start mailing $1,400 checks and revising forms and system for nontaxable unemployment?
I think they will sing a different tune.

EZTAX  
I sure do not see how these numbers backs up his claim.

We are getting many senior citizens in who normally go to Scout but this year Scout wants them to use their services over the internet and they cannot deal.

I think that the IRS will fold shortly after the American Rescue Plan is signed into law, and we're going to get a postponed deadline, probably to 6/15, as much as it pains me to think about that.

The IRS will have to revamp forms and update efiling schema. So will software vendors. It's going to cause a log jam.

Legislators and their eagerness to pass retroactive tax legislation are the primary reason that a postponed deadline will be granted. Make no mistake about it. I hope this is not the new normal... Seriously considering a letter to the AICPA after 4/15. We pay them to lobby and represent our interests.

Wiles  
I agree. They will cave. Now they can blame it on Congress. That's how it all works.

They also want to wait until after 3/15 because they hate Wiles and want him to spend 10 hours processing nonsense extensions/estimates for 1065s and 1120Ss instead of moving real work.

ManVsTax prefers to complete some returns and send out some invoices before 6/15...

Once that postponement gets announced, you better believe clients are going to go to sleep until 5/15.

Going to setup harsh internal deadlines for a 6/15 filing, otherwise we go on extension. This is not how I wanted to spend my late spring /early summer.

Wiles  
Wiles is going to go on vacation while ManVsTax beats his head against the wall trying to get work in ;)

I would never abuse my head like that....

*sipping a vodka on the rocks* :)

Wiles  
:lol: Ha ha

For Wiles, Jameson Stout Edition (on one rock) & The Wood Brothers is perfect for processing nonsense extensions...

Wiles wrote:https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-season-statistics-for-week-ending-february-26-2021
Year over year filing season statistics:
Total returns received down 23.7%
Total e-filing by tax professionals down 31.0%

And now for something completely different.
https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... %7D#Second
IRS says, "Regardless of which set of numbers are used, this year’s filing season is on track and progressing smoothly thanks to the work of IRS employees, tax professionals, tax filing industry partners and members of the Free File Alliance."

I'm down 30 returns YTD which is about 15%.

No idea why - I feel like I'm working harder and that my team is doing a much better job.

Wiles wrote:I agree. They will cave. Now they can blame it on Congress. That's how it all works.

They also want to wait until after 3/15 because they hate Wiles and want him to spend 10 hours processing nonsense extensions/estimates for 1065s and 1120Ss instead of moving real work.

I agree. (And also, this is clearly a personal attack if I ever saw one.)

EZTAX  
Itdepends - I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. You realize Wiles is attacking Wiles. I think we are all allowed to do this ;)

EZTAX wrote:Itdepends - I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. You realize Wiles is attacking Wiles. I think we are all allowed to do this ;)

We need to step in and ban Wiles from attacking Wiles, all the while, as he whiles away in his wily ways.
~Captcook

Webster  
Webster agrees with the Captain. Also, Webster says he is up for the year and the season is flowing more smoothly than last year.

Webster wrote:Webster agrees with the Captain. Also, Webster says he is up for the year and the season is flowing more smoothly than last year.

Breaking News: Due to recent a recent update on how the filing season is going from Webster, the IRS has further affirmed the 4/15 deadline will not be postponed.

Wiles  
Nice job, Capt! You are a wordsmith.

Too bad for Webster if there is PPP3. ;)

EZTAX wrote:Itdepends - I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. You realize Wiles is attacking Wiles. I think we are all allowed to do this ;)

I was trolling, yes. :twisted:

Webster  
Wiles wrote:Too bad for Webster if there is PPP3. ;)

Most of my clients are Mennonite or Amish. I would estimate that over 70% so far returned any EIP they received and will return any future payments. It doesn't much matter about EIP3 in that case, unless I am missing something. ;)

CathysTaxes  
I'm just going to refuse to work on taxes after a certain date. I will give the procrastinators a deadline or I will disengage. I will not spend the summer months working and not showing a huge increase in revenue.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Webster wrote:Most of my clients are Mennonite or Amish. I would estimate that over 70% so far returned any EIP they received and will return any future payments. It doesn't much matter about EIP3 in that case, unless I am missing something. ;)

That must be hell when you have follow up questions and additional info requests. :)

Webster  
Keeps it interesting. Some only have phone, some have fax, some have email without internet, some have internet. I could be envious of the e-signature discussions on here. :)

More clients are social security exempt than aren't, the number of partnerships dwarfs the number of S-corps, sideline businesses are common.

Overall we have a lot of fun.

EZTAX  
We are really struggling in our office and I am getting increasingly angry that the IRS commissioner thinks this is OK.

I know many if not most of you have higher income clients and are mostly if not totally virtual. We run a store-front operation with many lower to middle income clients.

Due to Covid, we are limited in the amount of staff that can work at any given time.

Between unemployment, not having to pay back Covered California on the federal returns, explaining the stimulus and holding returns with higher 2020 incomes in the phase out zone to maximize the third stimulus we are falling further and further behind.

We are having to spend much more time on almost every return.

I thought we were supposed to be "partners" with the IRS. This is unacceptable and I want a "divorce" :roll:

Thanks for letting me vent. Not that you let me but.....

PreviousNext

Return to Business Operations and Development