Expedite Fee

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Do you do it?

Is it "ethical" (not sure if this is the right word) to put a client here and there in the front of the line because they are willing to pay more than the others? (Yeah - I don't like that ethical word there - but do you know what I mean?)

Then... how much would you charge, for example, on a $500 1040 tax return?

[[note - this is for an "average" client - - of course there are circumstances and great clients for which we would help - -- I'm talking purely retail and transactional here"]]

CathysTaxes  
I would do it. Maybe 20% extra.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
ItDepends wrote:Do you do it?

Is it "ethical" (not sure if this is the right word) to put a client here and there in the front of the line because they are willing to pay more than the others? (Yeah - I don't like that ethical word there - but do you know what I mean?)

Then... how much would you charge, for example, on a $500 1040 tax return?

[[note - this is for an "average" client - - of course there are circumstances and great clients for which we would help - -- I'm talking purely retail and transactional here"]]

I don't think it is a matter of ethics. It is more a matter of business policy. If some one is in a rush, then they pay extra to get you to rush. I have paid that to get a Passport quickly due to an emergency :ugeek:

CathysTaxes  
I've never did this but I can think of several times when I should have. Procrastinating business client giving me several months at once, instead of monthly as I constantly requested, and then giving me a deadline because he's getting a mortgage or workman's compensation audit. I think if I had charged a premium the first time he pulled this, then he would have stopped or went elsewhere.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

smtcpa  
Not at all. I have started instituting a 35% surcharge for new clients that want to file before 4/15. The airlines, theme parks, and many businesses do it. I think it's good business.

"You can have price, speed or accuracy. Pick any two." I don't know who said that initially, but it was quoted on Tax Almanac years ago and has stuck with me.

I do not charge for expediting because I choose to compete on price and accuracy. My website even says that if a potential client wants a return in a day or two, perhaps they need another accountant.

I would try to avoid it as a general practice. I don't like the idea of clients having to pay a premium for attention. I prefer a FIFO processing approach.

If a client is in a bind and it's not repetitive, sure, I'll make it work.

I don't as long as the circumstances are reasonable and it is not habitual. I typically try to do FIFO, but realistically it is "whoever the hell gets ALL of their information to me, first" which could be client 30 instead of client 2.

Webster  
Sounds about right, Cornerstone. I mostly do FIFO, but if you need to jump the queue because your banker needs the return or for some other reasonable, non-habitual reason, of course I will help you. If it is a habit or nonsense, well, it's gonna cost ya.

I've got just one of these situations.
Standard business and personal mailers include a letter indicating I want business stuff by Feb 15th, personal stuff by March 15th to ensure timely filing.
Business client has purchased property (this is the 3rd new real estate in the last 3 years).
Wants to do a construction loan.

This corp and personal are ALWAYS extended until Sept/Oct.
I don't mind it because it helps me manage workflow.
Client is leaning on me, while making claims that they don't want to cause me any extra pressure, but the bank really needs 2020 to write the loan.
I'm expecting a 30-50% bump on the (already too low) invoice this year.

Return to Business Operations and Development