Does that make you look cheap if...

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Does it hurt your image if you do not have your own domain for your email address?

Today a prospective client asked for my email address. I use Gmail for my email address. When he saw it, he said 'You don't have your own domain for your email address?"

AlexCPA  
In my opinion, yes. A domain name is cheap and fairly easy to set up, so if a business owner has not taken that basic step for their business, then I would personally question their level of devotion to and investment in their business.

If you have additional questions, you may find me at http://www.myspace.com/AlexCPAGoMets54536. :D :)
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

sjrcpa  
I don't know if it makes you look cheap but it does not give a professional image.

CrowCPA  
I suppose that depends on your target audience. I do not even have a website but at lest half of my clients have been with me since before email and websites existed. Word of mouth has always brought me plenty of work. If you need more work go for the domain and all that goes with it. Or move here and take over for me.

This is probably best suited to the business op subforum.

But yes. It doesn't look professional IMO if someone is using a gmail. e.g. ManVsTaxCPA @ gmail . com

As others have noted, domains are generally cheap as long as it is unique and available. I pay $25 per year for both domain registration and domain privacy.

Then you can find a cheap email provider. There are a few affordable options out there.

I started with a gmail address for the first year. That was one of the first changes I made when I realized that my firm had the potential to grow.

Microsoft 365 is incredible value for the solo practitioner. I pay $150/year which gives me the entire Office suite plus e-mail and OneDrive, and Microsoft handles my domain registry for $12 a year. Add a website from TheSiteFactory for $195/year and you're set for a professional online image.

Name silo for my domain.
Wordpress website with email forwarding.
Gsuite for email hosting.

All the ease of gmail, with my own business name.com instead of a generic gmail address.

Costs were a concern starting out so I did it all myself with youtube tutorials.

Coddington  
I use GoDaddy for Domain registration, a Google Blogger blog for my website, and Google Workspace for my email. I was able to set it up by myself a decade ago, before there were helpful YouTube videos. (Mostly true, I asked a friend a question on one issue with the DNS.) Between Google Workspace and Microsoft Office 365, there's no reason NOT to have a custom domain. Except for one. Some long-time practitioners have AOL or CompuServe email addresses that they've had for decades. I can't blame them for not changing.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

When I started my business, the question was "Do I work from home or pay for an office?". Being a woman working in a dominantly male industry, I didn't feel like I had the "luxury" of working from home, so I found office space and always had office space until about three or four years ago when my landlord doubled my rent in one month. Nearly forty years into it, I don't give a hoot what someone thinks about whether I have a home office or I pay for office space. I also don't give a hoot about having my own domain. Word of mouth works, has always worked, for the amount of business I want to take on. For someone just starting, they do need to give a hoot and domains and websites are the wave of the present. For someone just starting the question is now "Do I get a webpage and a domain name, and what company will best serve me? Times they have changed.

I've had people contact me and say "gmail? you have got to be kidding me".

But I also have many more clients that I can handle - so I guess it doesn't matter?

ATSMAN  
Today a prospective client asked for my email address. I use Gmail for my email address. When he saw it, he said 'You don't have your own domain for your email address?"

What line of business is this fellow in. IT?

I use gmail.com as well and I used to have my own domain name and ran into various support issues from the service provider. I have used gmail over 7 or 8 years now without any issues and I am happy to disengage if any client is going to judge my tax work with my e-mail domain name :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The fact that people actually mention it should tell you it is worth the effort to put an end to it. I do think people will see you as less qualified just because of those lettters, Gmail.

It's costs about $100 per year for a custom domain, domain privacy, and Outlook online via GoDaddy.

It's not hard to setup. And it does convey professionalism, even if you don't use the domain to build a website.

ATSMAN  
I don't give a hoot what someone thinks about whether I have a home office or I pay for office space. I also don't give a hoot about having my own domain. Word of mouth works, has always worked, for the amount of business I want to take on.

You are my kind of a woman :P

Taxaway  
GSuite gives Gmail but with your domain name email, you can have a tiered package $6/$12 etc month. Domain registration $12/year w/Google or Amazon (AWS) ... don't be fooled by the registration companies that overcharged you,

For the adventurous type, AWS for hosting, it can be as low as $1 a month, but you need to understand the AWS structure (Youtube videos help). I am soon to be GoDaddy free of their constant upselling.

The email is what clients see, the other stuff behind the scenes. I do feel the email give a more professional look from the initial contact but once a client knows you, irrelevant at that point I'd say.

smtcpa  
Yes, for sure. I usually won't do business with someone that does not have a professional-looking email and website. In today's world, it is so easy to do, why would you not?

novacpa  
I'm pissed with GoDaddy, was all set up - printed business cards with numbers - they dropped
their Fax Service - had to purchase separately from Metro Fax (different number) at $7.50 per/month.

I know some professionals that still use AOL, GMail, Hotmail, or local ISPs. I find it unprofessional, just like cookie cutter websites. I avoid using or recommending them simply because I firmly believe professionals need to maintain a certain image. While I dress very casually (my clients seem to appreciate it), I am a lot more formal in other regards, including branding.

My website, for example, uses domain of cornerstonecpasolutions.com but it is too long for e-mail. I own A LOT of other domains for future use, but currently have chosen to use hhicpa.com as a redirect domain to my website, and it is also the e-mail I use for all of my firm's e-mail addresses. Six letters is a lot simpler for people to remember, and it means something to my client base.

All this talk about professionalism is great but what about security?

Gmail, Yahoo, etc all screen your E mails.

About 5 years ago we moved our mail to a secure server. It still has my domain name etc.. but security IMO is most important.

Any professional using a gmail, AOL, Yahoo etc account is basically saying "I don't give a hoot about your personal information".

I have been considering a move to ProtonMail Business email hosting later this year for exactly this reason. It's scalable, which is attractive.

https://protonmail.com/business/

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development