Paper Processing - IRS

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I have a new client for which we paper filed a 2019 amended return in Dec 2020.

This client has started to bug me monthly about not being able to see his amended return in the IRS "where's my amended return" tool despite my repeated advice that we need to exercise patience given the context -- millions of backlogged returns.

I know it's frustrating for the client. It's becoming very frustrating for me as well, as I didn't build in all of this back-and-forth into my engagement fee.

Anything similar in your firm? How are you handling it?

I have half a mind just to shoot off an efiled 2019 Form 1040-X and be done with it. Even though the IRS said not to do this.

CathysTaxes  
If paper filed I tell them the IRS is months behind and if it's not showing up in 'Where's My Refund' there is nothing that I can do.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Beagle  
Personally, I'd give them a copy of this article: https://archive.is/57p8P

And then finish it off with "What exactly do you expect me to do to make the IRS work faster?" Make them be specific and be blunt. If they laugh about it, ask them again and be blunt. "what do you want me to do about it? I don't work for the IRS, I can't go get your tax return and force an agent to open it and look at it."

We filed 4 amended paper returns between January and March 2020. None of the refunds have been received, and they started showing up as “received” in October through February (for the last one).

So it’s taking 10 - 12 months to receive, and presumably another couple of months to process.

smtcpa  
My approach: 1) Never paper-file an amended return unless there is no other way, 2) always set the expectations of the client. I tell them it takes 3-6 months pre-covid to process an amended return and 9-12 months now.

smtcpa wrote:I tell them it takes 3-6 months pre-covid to process an amended return and 9-12 months now.

:| :| :|

smtcpa wrote:My approach: 1) Never paper-file an amended return unless there is no other way, 2) always set the expectations of the client. I tell them it takes 3-6 months pre-covid to process an amended return and 9-12 months now.

It almost makes sense to delay filing an amended return a month or two so that one can efile, regardless of the risks, if the return is ready to file in that dark time period from November to January.

I certainly have this issue, and now I tell them, in advance, that it could be form 3-18 months.

When clients complain, I show empathy and I "make it about them", and after that I am very firm in that there is nothing I can do.

Other than that I do not have a good solution, sorry.

Don’t know all the details , but your client could be an inconsiderate idiot.
The image of IRS stockpiling mail in trailers during COVID is worthwhile fact to share. That’s worth a millón words to convey how “screwed up” things are
Also, it’s the IRS , not Dominos pizza or 2 day Amazon prime - so client needs to lower expectations and stop wasting your time !
Good luck !

I try to see it from the client's perspective.

They are due a few thousand with the amended return, and this is a middle class couple with a toddler, not a high earner. So I understand that they want the money yesterday.

It doesn't change the frustration for them, or for me though when I have to keep explaining, politely, that it's not coming any time soon.

We had our return closing call earlier this week (for 2020) and I was very clear that they may not get their amended refund before the end of the year, and there's not much we can do about that other than be patient.

I think if you have already explained everything with facts and reasonable explanations, yet clients keep pestering you, then this might mean the client may not be that bright. Intelligent people take new information and adapt on the fly. Don't worry about pleasing everyone all the time and certainly don't waste time worrying about something that's totally not your fault.

Return to Business Operations and Development