Day to deliver bad news to client

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
HWCPA  
For a little levity during another trying tax season I figured I'd ask what people think is the best day to deliver bad news to a client. Monday to let it simmer for the week? Friday when they may be in a better mood (although it may ruin their weekend)? Don't think there are any wrong answers here

I suppose it depends how quickly you can turn the bad news into good or, at least, put it to bed. For instance, if the client needs to transfer money to pay a large tax bill, telling them on Friday afternoon may not be best, especially if Monday morning would be just as easy in terms of getting the money transferred.

CathysTaxes  
Not on a Friday because they would probably be calling, texting, or emailing you the entire weekend.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Thursday

I go with Monday instead of ruining a weekend.

But maybe getting the news on Friday might sway them from blowing away money on the weekend that they need to save for taxes. :roll:

What would you do if he was your brother, sister, close friend, etc.

I like to call them at 3 am on Monday morning. Bad news can't wait.

ManVsTax wrote:I like to call them at 3 am on Monday morning. Bad news can't wait.

How very considerate of you not to hold on to important information like that. I'm sure it's appreciated. :lol:
~Captcook

Andrew  
Day doesn't matter that much. Will the client be receiving a pre-scheduled phone call? I call if it's bad news because you get the client's reaction, can respond, explain. explain the good with the bad, there's always something good that can be found like something even worse avoided, how much you saved them, future problems prevented.

But if that fails, I would take this advice:
ManVsTax wrote:I like to call them at 3 am on Monday morning. Bad news can't wait.

Send it USPS with notice on envelope "Bad Tax News Inside." Let them decide when to open it.

CrowCPA  
Road king -
I would never do that. It is like telling the postmaster and mailman that someone has tax problems. I don't want to be accused of that!

Andrew  
Wow, so many solutions I never thought about.

For the insomniacs under us:

For those of us who are sound asleep at 3 am:
09RoadKing wrote:Send it USPS with notice on envelope "Bad Tax News Inside." Let them decide when to open it.

For those of us who think your client will actually open the envelope:
CrowCPA wrote:Road king -
I would never do that. It is like telling the postmaster and mailman that someone has tax problems.

At least someone will open the envelope ...

I would never do that. It is like telling the postmaster and mailman that someone has tax problems. I don't want to be accused of that!

Heck, you musta missed the part about "levity" in your post. :lol:

Hmm. Ok. How about something like "Exciting Government Compliance News Inside!"?

MWPXYZ  
For a while, I will send bad news, via e-mail or PO, "tomorrow".

MWPXYZ  
April 1 isn't a bad choice, either.

Taxaway  
Start by talking about some extreme situation with huge tax liability implications, years of potential audit investigations, felony charges, then say, oh sorry, that's some else. Yours is .....

mariaku  
It'd depend on how much it would keep "me" simmering. Never make your client problems you own.

novacpa  
I've been hired to Score Beauty Pageants in the Metro DC area.
I report tax results much like Pageant results.
"I prepared your 2020 tax returns, the results are - You owe the IRS_________$;
You owe the State _______$
Then explain, underwithholdings, recapture of depreciation, up your withholdings to ______$ per/paycheck.
Make an Estimated Tax Payment Online.
When you don't you will get a tax bill for the interest-that's not deductible.

I do a pre-break-the-bad-news-warning-shot-across-the-bow.

Usually on a Monday so he as other things to do as it sinks in.

"You know, Mr Smith, I haven't calculated your tax returns yet, but I'm looking at your estimated tax payments and your net profit after expenses as I organize your documents and I don't feel like this is going to work out so well. Were you expecting to pay a tax balance this year?"

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development