PPC’s Guide to S-corporations

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CP Hay  
Has anyone ever used PPC’s Guide to S-Corporations? It’s sort of like Big Foot. I’ve heard of it but never really seen it. It’s quite costly though. For those that have it is it worth the price?

Wiles  
Is this the Deskbook?

We subscribe to the whole PPC Compliance Library which includes all the Deskbooks. And that is worth it.

Agree with Wiles, worth the money. I have the PPC Tax Planning Guide for S Corps (as well as the one for Partnerships, 1040 Deskbook and Compilation & Review Engagements). The only one I renew annually is the 1040 Deskbook. The others, I renew every 3rd year or so, as there are really not that many changes for them.

I use both the deskbook and the planning guide many times each year and send my staff to it for discussion/research as well.
~Captcook

I have the Deskbooks for non-profits, S-Corps, Partnerships, LLCs in general, Common Interest Realty Associations (CIRAs, aka POAs/HOAs), C-Corps, and 1041s. I buy them as needed or as I feel significant changes have occurred and I need specific, updated information. My CIRA one is from 2016 I think, but it is still very much so current and valid and if IRC is referenced, I will make sure it matches so I am not caught off guard. I do not bother with the 1040 Deskbooks since I have a lot of resources for those, already.

I bought the 1065, LLC, and 1120S Deskbooks last December and have already received updates from TR. I avoid the online ones because while it might be simpler to find a specific discussion, I often need to cross reference many areas at once.

I find them annoyingly expensive, but when they provide one answer you really need vs. hours of searching, they are invaluable.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I find them annoyingly expensive, but when they provide one answer you really need vs. hours of searching, they are invaluable.

I think you spelled "worth it" incorrectly. ;)
~Captcook

fish  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I avoid the online ones because while it might be simpler to find a specific discussion, I often need to cross reference many areas at once.

What does that mean? do you mean... you like to have multiple books open at once on your desk in front of you while you read?

i've always had online versions so i'm wondering if there is something i'm missing by doing so.

Agree with everyone that the PPC books are top notch and besides the guide to reviews and compilations you really only need to upgrade every 5 years or so or if there is a major change. The S Corp book gives great examples. 1041 and 706 are great as well

fish wrote:
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I avoid the online ones because while it might be simpler to find a specific discussion, I often need to cross reference many areas at once.

What does that mean? do you mean... you like to have multiple books open at once on your desk in front of you while you read?

i've always had online versions so i'm wondering if there is something i'm missing by doing so.

No, I may be looking at several different pages of same book simultaneously. Just personal choice, I’ve used online and I feel it becomes burdensome to cross reference things and overall prefer physical books. I buy online materials only when physical are not available or I have run out of storage space in office.

A side note, I like that have been able to discuss topics with one of the authors of one of my sets. No charge and he was thorough in explaining something in greater detail than book offered—something that the set of books made me question too much believe I needed to apply IRC in a way it is not relevant.

Return to Business Operations and Development