windows download

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
JAD  
IT person did some work on my computer a few months ago, including doing something with Windows 10. Last night, computer updated. It went through many cycles of updates and shutting down. Now my computer has a whole new look. I have to re-register with software like Adobe, bookmarks are gone, etc.

What the heck happened? I am looking for some background, understanding, before contacting IT guy this afternoon so that I have some context.

Thanks for any help.

rotsky  
Sounds like your Windows user account might have changed. Can you switch to another user?

CathysTaxes  
Sometimes rebooting helps.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
If you paid a pro to work on your computer few months back then this issue would have shown up the next time you restarted the computer. Was there that much delay in restarting the computer?

Was virus or corrupted software removal part of the repair?

JAD  
There was a potential virus issue. They didn't find anything, scrubbed the computer, had trouble registering the Windows that came with the computer, and I authorized the purchase of a new version so as to not waste their time and my money.

Further complicating the matter is that I have this message:

We can't sign in to your account. This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in.

But I don't know the information for the new purchase.

Further complicating the situation is IT guy and I didn't get along at all. I'm not looking forward to the phone call.

Thanks for your comments.

ATSMAN  
What kind of an IT professional were you dealing with?

First if you had a Windows 10 computer that had Windows Activated then it was already registered (Digital Key or Product Key) and reinstalling in with your activation information (generally an e-mail address that you used the first time) is all it takes and if you have problems activating it you can call the Microsoft support # and they can activate it by giving you the codes. I have done it both ways so I know it works.

here is the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 20fda32227

Taxaway  
If you're also dealing with annoying changes in customized desktops, icons, startbar, toolbar, etc, there are free (or very nominal charge) programs that can customize and save a profile. (Desktop Restore, Classic Shell two freebies).

Chrome, Firefox et al allow you save bookmarks/favorites to a file which you can restore/import in case someone ever #&# with your stuff! :evil:

JAD  
Hiccups in the download and a mistake by me caused corruption of user profile.
IT guy was professional and his employee got me back to where I need to be.
Thanks everyone.

Return to Business Operations and Development