Sales tax for your bookkeeping clients

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
For those who have bookkeeping service, We handle the the sales tax filing and payment. I have multiple clients in different States who I help create their accounts on the States, and I record their login information so I can file and pay for them when due. This process started to get messy with more clients onboarding. Is there a 3rd party service where I can register as an accountant an add all my clients' there so I handle the filing and payment from a single place? Any recommendation please?

Appreciate any help please

Abdelkhalek wrote:Appreciate any help please

Long ago I figured out that for me.... compliance type work like sales tax is not where the revenue is.

If a client can’t do their own sales tax, I won’t do it. We stopped doing payroll and sales tax many years ago. I looked at very successful firms and noticed that they rarely did compliance work. I try to only do work that we can bill at $250 an hour or more.

I know it’s not the answer you wanted but your a CPA competing with bookkeepers if you do heavy sales tax.

Thank you for the answer and I know you are right. The problem is, I only started a few months ago and I need to deal with this crap for some time to build my connections. As a new firm I can’t charge near these rates even for other work. I’m telling you that and I was someone who used to get billed at $440 an hour when I was a big4 employee. But whoever pays $250 an hour will come to a reputable office like yours vs a startup

Have you looked at Avalara?

SumwunLost wrote:Have you looked at Avalara?

I looked now. Have you used it? looks like it imports from your sales transactions which I do not need. I only need to enter the sales amount I will look it further though

Yes, Avalara imports all the sales transactions because they analyze the substance of the transactions and meet it up with the proper treatment of those items.
That's the issue with this work for me. There's no way I can gain an adequate understanding of multiple state's sales tax rules.
There's no clearinghouse for filing purposes among multiple states. Avalara is the best solution around. They are a full provider, though.
~Captcook

ATSMAN  
https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/en/oneso ... howitworks

They seem to have a software that may be worth demoing. I personally stay out of any sales tax issues. That is for the store owner to deal with. I need aggregate figures of sales that are taxable and non taxable and how much sales tax was collected and deposited. There is a reason I stay out of it and it has to do with sales tax refunds, etc.

Abdelkhalek, I demoed it a few years ago when the firm I worked for had a client working in multiple states. They did their own bookkeeping then consulted with us as issues arose, so I don't know what happened, as I left that firm a few months later.

Return to Business Operations and Development