Do you charge?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.

Bill or Not Bill

Bill
100%
Do Not Bill
No votes

Total votes : 11

Had to go in and file 2 state payroll WH forms and a simple WH license cancellation form for a "retail" income tax only client.

Took me 15 minutes.

But only because I'm a verified practitioner and I access his accounts given his license letters.

Plus, he needed it for a tax clearance and he didn't understand what they were asking.

I'm thinking $75 (15 min) or $150 (kind of a minimum amount).

It's not just "what I do", it's what I know, right?

Plus the time and energy to be a verified practitioner on the state website, and the management of his files (license letters, WH tax returns, etc).

What say you? (please, thank you)

Charge your hourly rate...... I say no less than $200.

Joan TB  
Ditto what southparkcpa said.

It is something I also struggle with - time involved is low because I already know how to do it. I am trying to get better at BELIEVING I am worth it!!

CP Hay  
I say bill but with a minimum fee even if it’s just an issue that can be solved relatively quickly.

I'd probably land somewhere around $150-200.
~Captcook

I'd charge my minimum fee, which is likely getting bumped up in 2022. These fraction of an hour billings clients expect are ridiculous--minimum fee plus additional time if workload calls for it.

What I am getting tired of are out-of-state people that call and want free advice on local matters. I need to get better at simply saying in absence of an engagement letter and fee arrangement, I cannot provide any advice.

Realistically, there is not much that escapes being billed by me. Even if I discount out to zero, I still send a client an invoice with what the fee would have been and then the discount. I discounted way too much in 2020 and am simply not doing it anymore.

ATSMAN  
I know some accountants bill by 15 minute increments rounded up. But I just keep it simple. For an established client if the task takes less than 30 minutes, I don't bill them BUT I do keep track of the time in case followups happen and it goes over. I will bill by the hour and allow generous discounts depending on the situation.

I track time in 15 minute increments rounded up, too, but if that hour is not hit, then it is my minimum rate.

We do not bill by the hour or even keep track of time. But I try to bill as much as possible on all jobs. For something like the state withholding issue I would certainly list that on the invoice if I need filler. I try to put enough items on the bill so the client thinks twice of questioning the bill. Most clients never question the bill though

Webster  
When I turned wrenches for a living I learned "The more you write the more you get paid".

Return to Business Operations and Development