New requirement for payroll on Intuit

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I think I probably don't really trust Intuit when they put these types of requests as a heading in the program. I just signed in to do the payroll for one of my clients and there is a notice that if they are using direct deposits, which they are, the account has to be updated by July 31. There is a link for "Why do I need to update my informtaion" that doesn't work. Outside of the program, I googled this and did get what I think is supposed to open in the program because everything looks the same. Anyway, the information that needs to be provided deals with the principal officer and is:

You’ll need to add the following info:

Physical business address
Principal Officer’s physical home address
Principal Officer’s Social Security Number
Principal Officer’s date of birth
Business type
Industry type

The notice indicates that Federal Government needs this information to continue the direct deposits. Most of the information is already within the QB program except the personl home address and the DOB. Why do they need this? Is it really a Federal requirement?

I suppose the federal requirement could be related to the Patriot Act, but I am not aware of anything that has changed lately.

Isn't it a little late to ask for something like this and relate it to the Patriot Act? Awhile back banks were going crazy with requests and blaming the Patriot Act, but I haven''t heard that in along time.

I am seeing it with some QBD data files with payroll, my company included. When I try to do it, it throws errors and says to contact Intuit. I contacted Intuit over another issue and also had them look into why I could not complete this information--the guy I spoke with said he is not sure why it is popping up at all because all of the information except physical address was present on my payroll account. He said to wait a couple days and do a send/receive of payroll data and it "might" go away, but I had to drop the subject for lack of time.

I found a couple of comments via Google about others having issues with it not loading/working, but I could not find a workaround for updating or adding this information. Heck, Intuit could not even figure out why since apparently all of that information is already on record!

Return to Business Operations and Development