IOP is going away, alternatives?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
eze  
My beloved Intuit Online Payroll is going away.

https://www.accountingtoday.com/news/in ... y%20choose.

I'm not migrating more clients to QBO Payroll. I'm not a fan.

Does anyone know of a full payroll app that we could import hours to from a simple timekeeping spreadsheet or csv file?

We can close out 2021 with IOP, so I have some time to test and research options.

Cheers,

Eric

Since becoming more and more unhappy with IOP, I've been migrating clients to Patriot. It's been working well.

As a disclaimer, nearly all of my payroll needs for clients is single s corp owner compliance. I don't have many clients that hire employees outside of that (intentionally).

eze  
ItDepends wrote:Since becoming more and more unhappy with IOP, I've been migrating clients to Patriot. It's been working well.

As a disclaimer, nearly all of my payroll needs for clients is single s corp owner compliance. I don't have many clients that hire employees outside of that (intentionally).

Thanks Patriot is on my radar. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some good simple explainers of 941 questions on their support blog.

IOP wasn't "feature rich", but it worked for me. I'm curious what didn't you like versus Patriot?

I'm not migrating more clients to QBO Payroll. I'm not a fan.

Eze, i am interested to know what's your thoughts on QBO payroll. I actually been testing Intuit Online Payroll this past year, moved my own firm's payroll and couple client's to test it out. I am kinda surprised by this news that they are shutting it down. I was going to mirgrate all my payroll clients to IOP.

I would guess QBO payroll is very similiar to IOP.

I am also interested to know what other programs are out there.

I am currently using AME, it's a goood traditional payroll software but it's very labor intensive.

smtcpa  
I am a huge fan of Gusto. We put all of our clients on it when they want to switch or add payroll. Very easy to set up, great service, integrates with QBO. Here's a link for $500 if you sign up: https://gusto.com/partners/i/steve14412.

We also use Patriot but only for quarterly ATF payroll.

What’s the cost structure for gusto?

JR1  
Keep talking all y'all....I've been using IOP before Intuit ever bought it, now to kill it. It's fast and easy, and profitable for me. I, too, mostly run 1-2 'man' S corps paid once per month. Can run a dozen clients in an hour....

I've not been a fan of QB Online anything, frankly, it's cumbersome, navigation isn't great....so while they're apparently migrating the clients for us, what's the process going to look like? What's the cost structure compared to IOP? None of that seems important enough for Intuit to share with us. Go figure.

Patriot is clearly in the lead, biggest challenge is conversion. How they gonna do that?
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Anyone looking at RUN by ADP?

JR1  
They hit me up yesterday....I'm afraid their fees might be stronger than the 30-40 cost on avg for my clients now....years ago, before adopting iop, they had a program and it was 85-100+! For one man, one pay per month....and they said, oh, folks will pay 2x that easy! Right. So I need to keep the cost reasonable and not raise fees.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Maybe consider SurePayroll, which is a Paychex subsidiary? I have been looking at them lately and I am tempted to move my payroll clients there to get away from the time suck that is quarterly filing.

jesella  
I'll second the vote for Gusto, particularly if the choice is between QBO Payroll and Gusto. Price point is similar, and Gusto integrates w/ QBO. Gusto has done a great job of adapting and supporting all of the crazy COVID programs.

My biggest gripe with QBO Payroll is that it's too tightly integrated with QBO... if a payroll liability is a bit off or wasn't set up correctly, it's nearly impossible to fix it to show paid correctly on the payroll side and the QBO side. It also seems unclear what they're filing vs what the client is supposed to do. I got tired of trying to figure out how to fix the mess and have made clear with clients that we won't support QBO Payroll.

We still have a few clients on Payroll Relief, but we're using Gusto for everyone new and don't miss the quarterly filing rush.

Derby  
I've had decent results with both SurePayroll and Patriot for businesses with 1-20 employees.

Patriot does not allow payee login if they're a contractor.
I don't think either allows multiple pay types for contractors.
SurePayroll doesn't run retirement contributions on tip pay. Not sure if Patriot and Gusto do that properly.

For usability (including perceived usability/slickness), I'd rank it first to last: Gusto, SurePayroll, Patriot.
For cost, I'd rank it: Patriot, SurePayroll, Gusto.

Return to Business Operations and Development