Looking Delegate 80 to 100 returns

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
eze  
After building a firm to 5 full time EEs over 7 years, and then making a partial sell and downsizing to 2 employees, and then downsizing to no employees in the office everything is remote, I'd really like to delegate the tax practice to someone. I have plenty of other things to work on.

All this downsizing was pre CVD. I was 100% remote and much happier with my worklife. My only nuisance with CVD was the Regus office that I rented cut it's hours and available staff, but it wasn't much of a disruption.

I'm looking to contract or revenue share with a senior tax professional. Someone who can write a tax research summary on a difficult issue, cite some case law, reads and participates in this forum, etc. Maybe write an article as a paid gig. Answer a client question without embarrassing me. Help with professional IRS and FTB correspondence. I don't need all of that, but I want that kind of tax knowledge.

I'm at a place where I can't grow or expand without senior tax help, but I'm not really interested in having a partner or employee. Location doesn't really matter but state returns are California, Florida, Idaho and a few international 5471s.

I'm flexible on terms. I'm throwing the idea out there to see if there is any interest.

Please DM me if there is any interest and/or questions.

Hi Eze, are you looking to have someone take over these 80 to 100 customers, or you will retain them? Thank you.

ATSMAN  
When I first started in this business that is exactly what I did. I revenue shared (50%) with another senior accountant that was cutting back in preparation for retirement. He retained the client, I did the tax prep and he signed. Eventually most of those clients transitioned over to my firm, but it was a gradual process.

The key to revenue sharing is to have very clear and documented expectations. My deal was I was going to be prepping only. All client contact including responding to tax notices etc was not my responsibility. If I was going to be doing that then I would be paid either an hourly rate or some other mutually accepted deal. I did end up with some minor client contact just to get my tasks done on time, but it was no big deal.

eze  
wwwcpa1biz wrote:Hi Eze, are you looking to have someone take over these 80 to 100 customers, or you will retain them? Thank you.

Most, if they are happy, they are welcome to move after maybe a year or two. A minority I want to keep the tax under my letterhead because we do financials, controllership, bookkeeping.

It depends how it goes with the client relationships....if they really like the new contact...great most can go.

Beagle  
ATSMAN wrote:When I first started in this business that is exactly what I did. I revenue shared (50%) with another senior accountant that was cutting back in preparation for retirement.

I've done this with a few estate attorney's. One had a CPA in his office who died unexpectedly and I came in and did the returns. He referred me to all his friends. As the attorney's retired or it just became too much work for the money, the clients rolled over to me 100%. One guy has about 20 different K-1s and every year the attorney would get irate as they trickled into his office. After a few he just told the guy to work with me directly.

Return to Business Operations and Development