Cryptocurrency CE

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
So I asked a good client if he has any cryptocurrency and he replied "No, but that will probably change this year." I have avoided any serious study of this topic and have not taken any structured CE.

I can't help feeling that CE in topics like cryptocurrency and marijuana attract more than their share of charlatans and salesmen flogging other services. Can anyone recommend good CE for someone with enough knowledge to be able to check a box on the 1040? Non-recommendations are also welcome.
Last edited by SumwunLost on 16-Jun-2021 8:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Following.

Knowing what to ask to check the box correctly is half the battle. For most "investors", cryptocurrency is a capital asset and reported just like stock sales...except perhaps wash sales do not apply most of the time.

I'd like to know more about taxable events...air drops, hard fork and such...

I'm a bit lacking there and need to improve.

Do you have a regular CPE source that offers short webinars? I have a Checkpoint Learning subscription (and I love the monthly/quarterly 1- and 2-credit update courses) and while I haven't taken the ones on crypto or cannabis, they are available and I would expect them to be fine.

Does the NAEA have recommendations? Otherwise, your state CPA society might offer classes and have them open to non-CPAs.

sjrcpa  
CPAacademy.org probably has some courses.

Missingdonut, I asked on the NAEA web board and the only response was a post so that she would be notified of further posts! I'll see what NCACPA has to offer.

Sjrcpa, CPA Academy has a couple of courses but the descriptions suggest they are overviews and I'm looking for something that gives me a refresher on the basics, then digs deeper. Contemplating Income Tax Academy (Knox Wimberly) but that's the thick end of $500 for sixteen hours. This client would be worth that investment in the long-term, if he follows through with it. I've done a few Knox Wimberly seminars. He's good but he does some advertising every time, which turns me off a little bit.

Return to Business Operations and Development