How do you manage your work/day/time?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
fish  
How do you manage your work? What i mean is.. do you keep a paper organizer? a paper list of projects? a list in excel? do you use a CRM system? I use Thomson Reuters Practice CS which does okay at tracking due dates of returns, but doesn't do a good job of keeping all the hundreds of little things that need to be done (call this client to get his W2, call the IRS about that client, call Virginia about another client, prepare a projection for this one, review my receivables and call deadbeats, call this new prospect, etc, etc, etc...)

I use File In Time, which tracks due dates and is customizable once you get used to it. I have used Any Time Organizer for years. It is not quite as good as Lotus Organizer, but it is the closest thing I can find to that very fine piece of software.

I'd be surprised if there was an all-in-one piece of software that does it all. There may be an online solution but then you get bombarded with reminder e-mails.

smtcpa  
We moved to ClickUp a little over a year ago. It does a great job once it is set up to your liking.

I'm implementing Onvio very soon. We just use Excel right now for deliverables.
I use Outlook tasks for small or admin tasks that need to be done in a couple days or recur each week/month.
~Captcook

I use an Excel file that pretty much manages my entire life, from macro non-work related items, practice management, needed items lists, priority items, and finally, queues for all types of production.

I use sub-pages accordingly.

On the production pages and queues are dates and all of my notes as well.

It works great and I'm never stressed about relying on memory or passing over an important items for too long.

While I want a practice management system, have not identified a reasonably priced one that also gives me what I want. So, I still utilize the tasks function in Excel for non-tax work. It works well and I like that it still syncs to my phone so I can see what I need to address and when.

Wiles  
Like ItDepends, I use Excel. The beauty of Excel is its flexibility. You set up your dashboard in a way that makes sense to you and continue to modify the design. Use cell highlights, bold and color text how you want. Add a column for notes/status.

I have a tab that lays out the fiscal year ends and due dates for all entity tax returns for the next 6 months. I have another tab for all 1040s on extension.

The main tab is my dashboard. I look at this all day.
* I schedule out work that I need to (hope to) do over the next 3 weeks. The immediate week's work is scheduled per day. This helps me stay focused when I get into work. It doesn't always work, but it is better than not planning. The week's plan usually breaks down by Wednesday or Thursday.
* I have columns for all those miscellaneous client to do's and things that used be on post-its around my monitor.
* Also, like ItDepends, I have a separate section for personal and administrative to-do's.
* I also have a column labeled "Wish List". It is for stuff that crosses my mind. I think I should do it, but, realistically, I know I will likely never get around to it, at least not immediately. I don't want to pollute my "real" to do list with this stuff.

Each week (not always), usually on Sunday evening, I make a copy of that main tab and then edit for the next 3 weeks.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:While I want a practice management system, have not identified a reasonably priced one that also gives me what I want. So, I still utilize the tasks function in Excel for non-tax work. It works well and I like that it still syncs to my phone so I can see what I need to address and when.

I just finished a rather comprehensive search for a practice management system and landed on Onvio. I have a team of 11, but there are many more modestly priced options for smaller teams.
~Captcook

CaptCook wrote:but there are many more modestly priced options for smaller teams.

Would you sharing the names of some that you have in mind?

Out on vacation at the moment, but will when I'm back in the office.
~Captcook

CaptCook wrote:Out on vacation at the moment, but will when I'm back in the office.

I just wanted to follow up and see what options you saw that looked good for smaller practices

Also, would anyone be willing to share a blank copy of their excel sheets they’re using with some fake data

What I wanted: Cloud-based, one stop platform for proj mgmt, document mgmt, and time/billing.
Most of the options below have a client portal. That wasn't of huge value to me as I'm skeptical a large number of clients will use it. Canopy's was probably the best looking. They were my second choice.

Here's what I looked at:
Tax Dome
Canopy
XCM
Onvio
Intuit PM
Big Time
Practice Ignition

Tax Dome was ok, but was nearly nonexistent on reporting for staff effectiveness. Might be fine for a one or two man shop.
Big Time and XCM are only project management. Big Time is really good on reporting on staff effectiveness, but does NO document management.
As an aside, iChannel is AMAZING at document management.
Intuit PM is pretty decent, but only effectively manages the final copy of tax returns.
Canopy did everything Onvio did with a couple of interesting twists related to OIC claims and pulling IRS transcripts within their system. The reporting on staff effectiveness and client profitability just isn't there yet, with Canopy. I liked the salespeople the best there, though.

I went with Onvio because they did all I wanted: PM, Doc mgmt, and time/billing in one cloud-based platform. They also have an in-depth implementation/training program, which isn't inexpensive, but is proving very valuable. I didn't want to be training my staff directly and wanted solid guidance on workflow implementation.
Nearly all of these are around $600/yr/user, which is less than I expected to pay to get the functionality I wanted.

The only dynamic I need to solve for at this point is to get a solid KBA signature option. Onvio does unlimited electronic signatures, but not KBA, which you need for 8879s. We use Lacerte for tax prep and that's likely what we'll end up using for KBA, but I haven't spent much time researching this yet. Some of the options above have KBA included or at a discounted price.

Hope that helps.
~Captcook

CaptCook wrote:reporting for staff effectiveness

Can you expand on what you mean by this?

Just spent about an hour watching Tax Dome videos on YouTube and really like what I see.

I am always looking for more automation when it makes sense. My biggest pain point recently is too many manual processes that could be automated.

Get used to that with TD.
Very little personal service.
Again, that might be fine for a small shop, though.

Staff effectiveness, to me, means I have objective data about the time spent on projects in comparison to the budget and what I was able to bill to the client.
~Captcook

Thanks. I am going to need to examine the those in more detail later.

I'm getting to the point that I need an integrated practice management system that also automates certain tasks and processes.

jesella  
I don't see Karbon mentioned anywhere in this thread yet (karbonhq.com). We manage all client and team communications and project management through Karbon. Couldn't run my office without it, and they're continually building out additional functionality (more complete Time & Billing is coming - for now the capacity piece is there and it integrates with QBTime for more robust time reporting). Someone mentioned KBA e-signature - it doesn't do that, but we do that through UltraTax and will be trying TaxCaddy's KBA this fall.

Karbon allows us to send a client a secure checklist of tasks/things to provide, and it will automatically send the client reminders if they haven't finished it. Clients can securely attach docs. We can add internal notes to emails, tasks, etc., which is great for delegating communications - client emails with a question, I can write a very brief summary of the answer, and my admin staff will flesh out the response so it goes out with all of the pleasantries while saving me time. Communications with the client and notes can be tagged to the work, so when tax time comes around, we have everything we need to remember in one place.

ManVsTax wrote:Thanks. I am going to need to examine the those in more detail later.

I'm getting to the point that I need an integrated practice management system that also automates certain tasks and processes.

Have you made any progress on this? I really need to get something in place. I have a ton of trials going but not in love with any of them. Tax Dome, OfficeTools (cloud), Senta (has some nice features but I don't like that it is really intended for British accounting firms), and a few others I am forgetting.

I have not yet. It's on my post 10/15 to-do list.

Wiles  
What do you use to track your post-10/15 to-do's? ;)
Last edited by Wiles on 31-Aug-2021 3:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development