Question for those who typically start vacay on 4/16.

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Gr8ful  
I know it is not ideal, but I am leading our Scout troop on a Florida Keys trip starting on 4/16/22. I manage my own practice (no staff) and was looking for tips from those that typically closed their doors at midnight on 4/15 and took their trips. And yes I know tax season does not end until 4/18/22 but I can't miss this once in a lifetime trip.

Any advice to help would be appreciated. All I have so far is to email my normal late-comers in January to say if I do not have their documents by March 31st I will have to extend and this will cost them $95.

Pull forward as much work as possible. You don't want to efile a return on April 15th and have it rejected while you're kayaking around the keys.

It might be smart to be transparent and get out ahead of this by telling all clients in Dec or Jan: I have made arrangements and will be out of the office starting April 16th. I plan to return on [Date]. To make sure this process goes smoothly for all clients, any returns not filed by April XX will be put on extension and filed after I return. If you would like your return filed without an extension, I strongly encourage getting your tax documentation in as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.

I would consider April 1 - April 5 for the cutoff date. After that just work on extensions, tell clients what to pay on IRS.gov, and confirm all efiled returns have been accepted.

Good luck and enjoy the keys. Great fishing down there (but check the licensing requirements).

Gr8ful  
Thanks ManV. Very helpful....It'll be a blast and I don't want to ruin my time by dealing with the procrastinators. Great thing is that there is no cell reception on the island we are kayaking out to for the week.

It's not unreasonable to put a due date in your year-end mailer. Just keep in mind how this may compress your tax season a bit. I agree with ManVsTax's comment -- I wouldn't file anything after perhaps the 12th just in case of rejections.

My post-tax season plan for next year is to go skydiving for the first time. I figure that should be a really good motivation for people to get their stuff in early :lol:

CathysTaxes  
I typically stop working the 16th and a few days afterwards. Even though tax season was extended this year, I made sure that i communicated that I was taking a two week break starting 4/16.

For years, I have not efiled on the 15th. Twice in my career, i had software providers whose e-filing was down and that one year when the IRS wasn't processing online payments. I don't need or want the stress.

Enjoy your special trip!
Cathy
CathysTaxes

missingdonut wrote:I wouldn't file anything after perhaps the 12th just in case of rejections.

I wouldn't cut it that close... I've had certain state returns take up to 9 calendar days to send confirmation of acceptance during the busier filing times.

sjrcpa  
Gr8ful wrote:I can't miss this once in a lifetime trip.

Tell them that. If you have good clients they will understand and be glad for you.

I got married over 25 years ago on October 1. I contacted all of my procrastinator October 15 deadline clients well ahead of time and told them I was getting married and going on a two week honeymoon so they had to get their stuff in early. I had 100% compliance and loads of well wishes.

smtcpa  
It's only two days and most people will think tax day is 4/15 anyway. I've done it before and clients will have no problem, especially for a good reason like you have. I'm usually "done" a few days before anyway, so this should be a piece of cake. Just let them know in advance, shorten up your deadline to get documents in, be strict with those deadlines, and make sure everyone is either filed or extended 5 days before you leave.

Return to Business Operations and Development