Auto-fill password for tax software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I used Lacerte and proseries. The need to enter password every day is becoming a real hassel. The other day I was talking to a Lacrete rep on some other matters and he told me he saw couple customers able to auto-fill password. He didn't know how they did it.

Anyone out there has a magic trick on their sleeves? Please do share, I am quite sure many of us would like to learn.

thx

It seems nearly all password managers can be set up to autofill website usernames and PWs. For desktop apps, it is not typically autofill, rather a quick copy/paste...a bit easier than manual entry.

eric1032 wrote:I used Lacerte and proseries. The need to enter password every day is becoming a real hassel. The other day I was talking to a Lacrete rep on some other matters and he told me he saw couple customers able to auto-fill password. He didn't know how they did it.

Anyone out there has a magic trick on their sleeves? Please do share, I am quite sure many of us would like to learn.

thx

I’m in total disagreement. the minor inconvenience, to help secure our clients very sensitive data is a small price to pay. we change our passwords every 90 days, must contain numbers, letters and a symbol. I don’t like it but could never live with myself if my office were robbed and computers stolen. we also have encrypted hard drives.

Agree 100% with southpark. I'm implementing a could based proj mgmt solution and will insist on MFA for login. There's too much at stake to fail on security.
~Captcook

ATSMAN  
Bypassing or defeating the password protection for any business software is playing with fire. Yes it is inconvenient but I hate to think what would happen if an unauthorized person started looking at all my client data :cry: :cry: :cry:

Quite the opposite, I change passwords every 90 days for my software and am happy that my software requires two-factor authentication. Best yet, the second factor is an app so if somebody tried logging into my tax software I would immediately receive a phone notification.

This is your tax software; if there is anything that you don't skimp on security, it should be this.

I am not trying to bypass security. There are quite a few app passowrd manger in the market. it will auto fill the passoword once the software recongnize your finger print or pin. I do online shopping all the time and google chrome will auto fill credit card info and address once I input the secret pin. There should be something similar for our tax software.

My computer server has a physcial lock chained to the desk, there is a window login PW. Having another password to access tax software just seem redundant to me.

Nothing is ever too redundant in the IT realm.

I’m less frustrated about keying in the password when starting the software, and more frustrated about getting kicked out while still working in the software because it thinks I’ve been inactive for 30 minutes.

smtcpa  
I am not sure letting Google Chrome store your credit card info on your hard drive is the safest thing to do. But if you're willing to enter a secret PIN, how is that different than entering a secret password for the most important piece of software you have? If someone breaches your credit card, you're hurting only yourself and the problem is usually easily fixed. We're talking about harming others if a breach happens. I have both PW and a text confirmation to get into my tax software. I wouldn't want anything less to safeguard identity information for hundreds or thousands of clients.

eric1032 wrote:I am not trying to bypass security. There are quite a few app passowrd manger in the market. it will auto fill the passoword once the software recongnize your finger print or pin. I do online shopping all the time and google chrome will auto fill credit card info and address once I input the secret pin. There should be something similar for our tax software.

My computer server has a physcial lock chained to the desk, there is a window login PW. Having another password to access tax software just seem redundant to me.

RazorbackCPA wrote:I’m less frustrated about keying in the password when starting the software, and more frustrated about getting kicked out while still working in the software because it thinks I’ve been inactive for 30 minutes.

UT did the same thing to me but they also had TFA, which was a joy when I my iPhone committed suicide...at least UT's TFA does not rely on Google Authenticator and generally works pretty well.

I would also complain about LaCerte occasionally throwing errors when viewing a return, but it was far more frequent with UT and LaCerte is a heck of a lot faster from opening, to actually preparing and calculating and generating returns, to printing. There is no perfect piece of software, just one you can live with.

cp_acwt  
eric1032 wrote:I used Lacerte and proseries. The need to enter password every day is becoming a real hassel. The other day I was talking to a Lacrete rep on some other matters and he told me he saw couple customers able to auto-fill password. He didn't know how they did it.

thx

I use ProSeries, I also use RoboForm as my password manager. RoboForm cannot login to the ProSeries ProConnect dialog. It does not see it. I saw a question regarding this on the ProSeries web board and there was no solution.

RoboForm does time out and the user can adjust the number of minutes.

eric1032 wrote:My computer server has a physcial lock chained to the desk, there is a window login PW. Having another password to access tax software just seem redundant to me.

In the old days, this setup would count as a form of two factor identification because you needed physical access to your computer and you needed the password. But because these days you're connected to the Internet, it really only counts as one factor. So, you actually need stronger security than that on your server, and if that comes from the software it may be a bit annoying but it's not the worst thing in the world.

eric1032 wrote:I am not trying to bypass security. There are quite a few app passowrd manger in the market. it will auto fill the passoword once the software recongnize your finger print or pin. I do online shopping all the time and google chrome will auto fill credit card info and address once I input the secret pin. There should be something similar for our tax software.

I'm unaware of any password managers that are integrated with software programs (unlike, say, the browser extensions). It would require the software itself to include support for your password manager, and that just seems like a point of failure that a tax software provider wouldn't want to risk.

sjrcpa  
eric1032 wrote:My computer server has a physcial lock chained to the desk

The theft will most likely be through electronic means, not physically stealing the server.

sjrcpa wrote:
eric1032 wrote:My computer server has a physcial lock chained to the desk

The theft will most likely be through electronic means, not physically stealing the server.

Agreed, the common criminal that would steal a physical computer from a CPA firm is likely too stupid to know the value of the information it contains. NOT true for cyber criminals.

My office is pretty secure, but it is not physical intrusion that worries me. It is cyber intrusion, and also why I just spent yet MORE money further improving my network security.

Return to Business Operations and Development