Form 56 Duties

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I don’t usually agree contractually to perform work in the distant future, but I did in this case. I offered to prepare and file any required Form 56 for an executor and realized afterward that this will have to include not only assisting with creating fiduciary relationships but terminating them too. I am doing this work by retainer so getting paid should not be an issue. Could this arrangement result in any professional problems for me in your opinion or is this not a problem?

My first thought is, "how is your liability insurance?"

How much do you have and will they cover enough of your exposure and legal fees?

If you already sort of committed yourself and you like the money it will bring you, I would just be sure to get nice and insured for it.

sjrcpa  
Are you going to be a Trustee or Executor?
From the OP, I can't tell what you'll be doing besides filling out Form 56.

I am a tax professional who is helping the executor with preparing and sending Form 56 to the IRS when required. I recently sent to the IRS through certified mail one Form 56 for the decedent's Form 1040 and separately mailed another Form 56 for the decedent’s estate, Form 1041. When should these kinds of fiduciary relationships be terminated with the IRS and when does this usually occur in the future?

Return to Business Operations and Development