The Tax Book Web Library Plus

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
So I'm contemplating this purchase. I have used The Tax Book for about a decade, but always the printed book. I started out with the 1040 edition, then moved to the deluxe edition as my client base changed. I also subscribe to Parker.

What appeals to me is the access to all of the books online, plus the deluxe edition printed. I like the ease of use of the printed version and it remains on my desk all year. I have a goodly number of clients approaching or past retirement age, so access to the Social Security & Medicare book is helpful. I have purchased it several times over the years - generally every three years. I have plenty of rental and business clients so having access to a Depreciation book seems to be helpful. The All States edition will become increasingly useful, I think.

On the downside, I will never own the online books. They are as good as long as I pay the subscription. I also wonder how much extra information the extra books have. Is it just the pages from the other editions with a few extra thrown in? Or is each one a standalone book that is worth purchasing or, at least, having access to?

I will maintain the Parker subscription even with TTB Web Library Plus, if for no reason other than the more comprehensive tax cases.

Thoughtful observations from those who have used either Web Library Plus or who have purchased more than the 1040 Edition or Deluxe Edition would be most welcome.

ATSMAN  
I use Taxbook Deluxe 90% of the time. I tried Web Library one year and was not too impressed.

cp_acwt  
The online version of TTB is searchable. When an update happens, they update the online version. You need to keep your subscription current that's true. I switched to online because I am tired of all the paper.

smtcpa  
I switched to online a few years ago and that's all I use. I think I might also get the package that comes with the book so I have t for future reference. Like cp_acwt, I like the ability to search and I also hate paper.

jesella  
I love the online version because of the search-ability and the access to the All States guide. I tend to forget that the other books are out there to explore. I think it's a pretty good value for the price and would recommend giving it a try for a year. I agree that it doesn't replace Parker, though. The TaxBook is great for quick reference, but Parker is much better for research.

Thanks, all, for the responses. As a thrifty Scotsman (tautology, I know) I took advantage of the $60 discount on Monday evening. I wish I hadn't moved to a wide-screen monitor recently that is 11" high. It works for most things but I would have benefited from the deeper screen. I still prefer proper books for reference, no matter how good the online source.

So far, I like it and I have almost a year and a half before I have to decide if I want to keep it. I was surprised that a court case search brings up cases that, seemingly, have nothing to do with tax. In any case, Parker is more comprehensive in that area. Its Tax Court/Board of Tax Appeals cases go right the way back to 1924. What I like about TTB in general is that it gives you "quick" information that is enough to tell you about further research required. So I am hopeful that a combination of Parker and TTB will give me the vast majority of my research needs. I will have to see what it will cost me to print out the All States edition. I think that might be quite helpful to have on my bookshelf.

I use the online version and like it--very easy to search and find what I need, though I typically refer to TaxBook for more simplified information or state information only, and very rarely for Federal matters (I use Parker for that). This is contrast to PPC Deskbooks, which I only buy in printed format and thus they are not updated each year. For some reason I prefer hard copy Deskbooks, while all others I am fine having online (Tax Book, Parker) since they have solid search functionality. I think it comes down to me being tired of TR's approach to everything and their ridiculous costs, so I buy printed versions of information I think will not be changing within the next 2-4 years.

Return to Business Operations and Development