clearing books of stale retainer

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
makbo  
After a phone conversation and an introductory email, a prospective client sent a small (barely 3 digits USD) retainer payment (electronically) not quite 12 months ago for consulting on prior year filing issues. I never got a follow-up from client, nor was my engagement letter signed and returned. Repeated email contact attempts over this period have received no response. To resolve this, would you (a) send a paper letter inquiry via U.S. post, or (b) make a phone call (including caller ID) inquiry, or (c) send retainer deposit to state unclaimed property without trying to further contact the client, or (d) none of the above. I'm a little sensitive to ID theft, in other words before I send the deposit back to someone, how do I ensure it is actually the person who paid it to me?

Coddington  
The time for a phone call was nine or ten months ago, but what's done is done. Me, I'd probably send a letter and make the phone call. If that doesn't work, I'd look into having the funds reversed electronically. If even that doesn't work, then I might look into escheat.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

I do hope this does not start another discussion like that at TA: "Voiding stale dated payroll checks, punch, cookies, Jim Jones, china, coffee, cat food and unclaimed property" Check it out before it is gone.

You might also find that this person is paying you for the time spent on the telephone, etc.

makbo  
Doctor Watson wrote:I do hope this does not start another discussion like that at TA: "Voiding stale dated payroll checks, punch, cookies, Jim Jones, china, coffee, cat food and unclaimed property" Check it out before it is gone.

You might also find that this person is paying you for the time spent on the telephone, etc.

That discussion is not gone, but it's 20 pages long so I'm not going to read it right now.

http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Dis ... d_property

As a follow-up to my OP, I sent a cover letter and remedial printout of my engagement letter to prospective client via US first class mail, he replied using the same method with signed copy of engagement and letter apologizing for being unresponsive, stated he would contact me soon about the work. To be continued...(probably a long time from now).

Return to Business Operations and Development