NetClient CS

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Does anyone here use NetClient CS? We use accounting CS for monthly write up and payroll processing and I’d like to start offering clients the option to have a portal through NetClient CS where their employees can see the check stubs, w2s etc. One thing that’s frustrating me is that they refuse to give me a trial of it so I can see how it would work, what the client and employees would see, etc. hoping someone has some insight

I’d also be open to suggestions for other software that would do this. I spoke with gusto and like them, but I’d still need an accounting software, would have to make journal entries to record payroll, etc. gusto would also be a decent price hike vs NetClient since it’s 40/client plus the per employee monthly charge.

TaxMan2020 wrote:Does anyone here use NetClient CS? We use accounting CS for monthly write up and payroll processing and I’d like to start offering clients the option to have a portal through NetClient CS where their employees can see the check stubs, w2s etc. One thing that’s frustrating me is that they refuse to give me a trial of it so I can see how it would work, what the client and employees would see, etc. hoping someone has some insight

I’d also be open to suggestions for other software that would do this. I spoke with gusto and like them, but I’d still need an accounting software, would have to make journal entries to record payroll, etc. gusto would also be a decent price hike vs NetClient since it’s 40/client plus the per employee monthly charge.

We are phasing out of NetClient CS (and all Thomson Reuters products).

NetClient feels like something written in 2005.

RazorbackCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:Does anyone here use NetClient CS? We use accounting CS for monthly write up and payroll processing and I’d like to start offering clients the option to have a portal through NetClient CS where their employees can see the check stubs, w2s etc. One thing that’s frustrating me is that they refuse to give me a trial of it so I can see how it would work, what the client and employees would see, etc. hoping someone has some insight

Based on the only videos I could find that’s the feel I got. What products are you switching to?

wel  
Over the years, I've evaluated portal solutions for a few different firms - and there are several good options available. My firm has used NetClient CS for the past 2 years, and I was with another firm 10 years ago that also used NetClient CS.

NetClient CS does feel old. However, if your firm uses TR applications it can be an extremely efficient system for delivering work product to client portals. You can have tax returns / organizers from UltraTax, financial reports / paystubs prepared in Acctg CS, any file from FileCabinet sent to a client portal with virtually no intervention from your staff (making it almost impossible to send sensitive client data to the wrong place). Sending a tax return from UltraTax to a client's portal couldn't be easier or more efficient.

I evaluated Onvio from TR before we decided to go with NetClient CS. At that time, Onvio did not feel ready / suitable for our needs. However, it is clear that Onvio is the future for TR and I'm sure that it has improved in the past 2 years.

I evaluated the CCH Axcess portal a few years ago with another firm - and it was also very slick. I believe that CCH Axcess is the only truly cloud-based comprehensive solution available right now that includes tax, document management, practice management. (Also, CCH Engagement is expected to be available on Axcess soon.)

I suspect that the TR Onvio platform will develop into a real competitor for the CCH Axcess platform, but it will probably take a while. It's probably been 6+ years since they started promoting Onvio and it wasn't even close to equivalent to the legacy CS applications 2 years ago.

Of the other portals that I've used, I really liked ShareFile. It is very nice, but it is not nearly as efficient to send tax returns, etc. as an integrated solution from the same vendor, and a staff member can easily send sensitive data to the wrong portal (due to the process being manual).

smtcpa  
I phased out of all Thomson products, except UltraTax about five years ago. I was on a beta testing team for Onvio about 10 years ago before their release of Onvio FileCabinet. It was really bad and the release got delayed for years. Based on what I've heard, it is still not ready. I decided I did not want to be with a company that was so slow to release new products, so behind the technology curve, and who insisted on not integrating with any products other than their own. I do think UT is the best tax software (after a brief stint with Lacerte) so I kept that.

In answer to your question about payroll, Gusto syncs great with QuickBooks Online. I use it and I try and steer all my clients that way too. Patriot software also works nicely, and syncs with QBO.

wel wrote:Over the years, I've evaluated portal solutions for a few different firms - and there are several good options available. My firm has used NetClient CS for the past 2 years, and I was with another firm 10 years ago that also used NetClient CS.

NetClient CS does feel old. However, if your firm uses TR applications it can be an extremely efficient system for delivering work product to client portals. You can have tax returns / organizers from UltraTax, financial reports / paystubs prepared in Acctg CS, any file from FileCabinet sent to a client portal with virtually no intervention from your staff (making it almost impossible to send sensitive client data to the wrong place). Sending a tax return from UltraTax to a client's portal couldn't be easier or more efficient.

I evaluated Onvio from TR before we decided to go with NetClient CS. At that time, Onvio did not feel ready / suitable for our needs. However, it is clear that Onvio is the future for TR and I'm sure that it has improved in the past 2 years.

I evaluated the CCH Axcess portal a few years ago with another firm - and it was also very slick. I believe that CCH Axcess is the only truly cloud-based comprehensive solution available right now that includes tax, document management, practice management. (Also, CCH Engagement is expected to be available on Axcess soon.)

I suspect that the TR Onvio platform will develop into a real competitor for the CCH Axcess platform, but it will probably take a while. It's probably been 6+ years since they started promoting Onvio and it wasn't even close to equivalent to the legacy CS applications 2 years ago.

Of the other portals that I've used, I really liked ShareFile. It is very nice, but it is not nearly as efficient to send tax returns, etc. as an integrated solution from the same vendor, and a staff member can easily send sensitive data to the wrong portal (due to the process being manual).

We use accounting CS for monthly bookkeeping and payroll but lacerte for tax so It’d only be used for the employee portals. The price the guy quoted was 800 to set up and then 17/client. Wouldn’t say anything about annual fees

I ditched all TR products. I loathe their fees, arrogance, and 1990s-era UIs. The only products they offer that I will occasionally pay for are their PPC Deskbooks, nothing more.

I mentioned in our private messages what I found and currently use. But, I know we do not care for the same product for general accounting/bookkeeping. I am surprised at how few options exist, so either it is an overlooked market or the market is simply too small for anyone to care about it.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I ditched all TR products. I loathe their fees, arrogance, and 1990s-era UIs. The only products they offer that I will occasionally pay for are their PPC Deskbooks, nothing more.

I mentioned in our private messages what I found and currently use. But, I know we do not care for the same product for general accounting/bookkeeping. I am surprised at how few options exist, so either it is an overlooked market or the market is simply too small for anyone to care about it.

Agreed. My only problem with that for bookkeeping is that I’ve had clients at previous firms mention that they could tell what software the reports came from.

If someone could make a user friendly software that could give clients access to run reports/see a dashboard but not make changes and give access for employee portals without super high fees with firm branding would be great.

TaxMan2020 wrote:
Agreed. My only problem with that for bookkeeping is that I’ve had clients at previous firms mention that they could tell what software the reports came from.

True, but same is also true for another fairly common accounting platform for SMBs--Sage 50. If default reports are used, I can tell which application produced them. Same with tax returns, I can typically tell if Lacerte, UT, Drake, or ATX have been used based on some very slight differences in how each prints a return.

That said, outside of ordinary reports, I tend to prepare ones in my own formats in Excel that combine different pieces of information or in a cleaner, more preferable layout and style. Prepared Financials, for example, never include printouts from the software even though I could still arrange the COA in desired order and their parent-child relationships.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:

True, but same is also true for another fairly common accounting platform for SMBs--Sage 50. If default reports are used, I can tell which application produced them. Same with tax returns, I can typically tell if Lacerte, UT, Drake, or ATX have been used based on some very slight differences in how each prints a return.

That said, outside of ordinary reports, I tend to prepare ones in my own formats in Excel that combine different pieces of information or in a cleaner, more preferable layout and style. Prepared Financials, for example, never include printouts from the software even though I could still arrange the COA in desired order and their parent-child relationships.

So when you prepare your monthly balance sheet, income statement, trial balance, etc you export those out of quick books into excel?

TaxMan2020 wrote:
So when you prepare your monthly balance sheet, income statement, trial balance, etc you export those out of quick books into excel?

I have my own templates I use for Prepared Financials for various clients. I do not export from QB, but I do make sure QB is correct and then I enter the numbers into my templates. Really does not take very long and I have tests in the templates to confirm numbers match at various points, not just in total or assets = liabilities + equity (though that is also a test).

But, most of my clients could not care less about monthly financials--it is typically once or twice a year for various purposes, and then they just request standard reports as desired. When I was in private accounting, I used default financial reports unless being prepared for a bank, for example, and then they were put in a different format.

TaxMan2020 wrote:
RazorbackCPA wrote:

Based on the only videos I could find that’s the feel I got. What products are you switching to?

Sorry, I overlooked this.

Finishing up year 1 in CCH Axcess. I’m hoping most of the pain is conversion related. There some real upsides, particularly the portals and ability to customize print sets and configurations.

Downside has been nothing is built for speed or streamlining. It’s not designed for a high volume (per CPA) model which is what we are. Or perhaps were, I expect volume to come down and frankly need it to.

RazorbackCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:
RazorbackCPA wrote:

Finishing up year 1 in CCH Axcess. I’m hoping most of the pain is conversion related. There some real upsides, particularly the portals and ability to customize print sets and configurations.

Downside has been nothing is built for speed or streamlining. It’s not designed for a high volume (per CPA) model which is what we are. Or perhaps were, I expect volume to come down and frankly need it to.

I’ll look into cch axcess. Why are you expecting a decrease in volume?

TaxMan2020 wrote:
RazorbackCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:

I’ll look into cch axcess. Why are you expecting a decrease in volume?

We are expecting to lose a lot of clients this year due to:

1) increasing fees
2) staffing issues, we really need fewer clients
3) poor turnaround time for all kinds of reasons which snowballed into one year

Return to Business Operations and Development