Referral for Outsource Bookkeeping projects

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
(must be some posts on this, but couldn't find them)

From time to time I get in clients that should be using accounting software systems but instead give me excel sheets with summarized transactions which I need massaged into adjusted trial balances.

Some are not simple with intercompany transactions where one entity refi's property and lends to another entity etc.

and some use QBO but refuse to hire competent bookkeepers.

Not looking for cheap. Just competent and efficient. Conversant w QBO and QBKS, but not simply QB jockey.

Any part of the universe ok with me.

Len Raphael
Oakland CA

I like to keep an eye for clients that have good looking books, find out who does the books and then strike up a relationship with the bookkeeper. If they are external and self employed, I then see if they are taking on new clients.
It's helped me to get a pretty deep bench as far as referrals for 3rd party bookkeepers, as this is a service line I do not offer.

agree with that but in the Bay Area the good bookkeepers are harder to find than competent tax people, and can afford to only take on recurring work.

Plus many of the bookkeepers never had any formal training in debits/credits. Everything they learned about accounting they learned thru Quickbooks. :)

I refer to these folks as "QB data entry technicians" rather than bookkeepers. There are certainly many of these folks in my area too.
~Captcook

JAD  
Len - I have had the same experience here in the Bay Area. It is very, very difficult to find someone good who is taking on new clients. It is really amazing how many people think they are bookkeepers, when really, they are only data entry operators.

I interviewed a number of people for my client a few years back. I was really appalled. I was talking with one woman about balance sheet accounts to try to get a sense of whether she could accurately maintain a balance sheet. She actually interrupted me and said, "Now, I am a P&L gal. I don't do balance sheets!"

JAD :0)

JAD wrote:She actually interrupted me and said, "Now, I am a P&L gal. I don't do balance sheets!"

*smh*

At least you know your interview questions are teasing out the answers you need.
~Captcook

Just an observation - my local community college offers a class in QuickBooks. The only prerequisite is that you must have done financial accounting I. If your local CC has a similar rule (I gather NC’s community college prerequisites are set by the state board) you may find that a productive route.

I taught the QB class at our local CC once, many years ago. I sincerely hope all other courses have a better curriculum than I was given.
~Captcook

How much should a good bookkeeper bill? $50 to $100 an hour?

ten years ago in the Bay Area it was 35/hr for "Quickbooks technician" on recurring monthly etc clients paid directly by the client (I like the sound of that, I'll use it going forward). That's now 55/hour or more now.

Very good project bookkeepers who didn't need any supervision were 65 to 100/hr on non recurring projects. Higher end priced people were sometimes non practicing cpas who hated taxes. I usually just tell client I'll pass the cost thru to them wo markup. The problem is when the work is shoddy, inefficient etc. Common now.

I have a hard time finding quality books maintained by a CPA firm, let alone a bookkeeper. I have yet to find a third party bookkeeper I would put my reputation on the line with by referring anyone to them. Clients then either have the option to pay my firm to do the work at a reduced but still high rate, or they are going to continue paying my highest fees for cleanup.

A competent bookkeeper (one that understands normal balances, interactions with and flow of various transactions relative to general ledger and financials, etc.) will be in the $75-100/hr range in my area, though not nearly as pricey as Bay Area. Less expensive areas, perhaps $55-60/hr. Anyone less than that is often a bank feed monkey at best where almost everything gets put into "ask my accountant."

Return to Business Operations and Development