Quickbooks Desktop going fully subscription based

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Figured it was a matter of time. From the e-mail I just received. I went to their website and noticed ProAdvisors will no longer receive one license for each version of QBD, including Enterprise and POS, unless they're on the Enterprise plan.

Pro Plus and Premier Plus subscriptions
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows is updating its product lineup. With our 2022 launch, we will now only be selling our Pro and Premier products as Pro Plus and Premier Plus subscriptions in place of one-time purchase licenses.1 In making this transition to subscription only, we commit to focusing our investment to deliver greater value and more impactful features for you and your clients. This transition will also encourage your clients to be on the most recent versions for easier collaboration with you. To facilitate this transition, sales of QuickBooks Desktop 2021, one-time purchase versions, will be extended until December 10, 2021.
The 2022 subscription versions will offer you and your clients additional benefits, including:
• Access to the latest version, with the most up-to-date features, security patches, and support for 3rd party operating system changes.2
• Up to 38% faster, more reliable QuickBooks computing power (64-bit).3
• Unlimited customer support and data recovery at no additional charge (a $299.99 annual value).4
• Premium time saving and money management features.
• Increased productivity with the QuickBooks Desktop mobile app.
Please note that clients on older 32-bit computers will not be able to use the 2022 version, which requires a 64-bit compatible Windows operating system. Check here for more information on how to check for compatibility for your Plus and Enterprise customers.
New: Mac Plus subscription
For 2022, we are introducing QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus, an annual subscription-based license for small businesses. We will now be selling our Mac product subscription in place of one-time purchase licenses.1 QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus will be available to accounting professionals as part of the ProAdvisor Enterprise Software Bundle.
The 2022 subscription version will offer you and your clients additional benefits, including:
• Access to the latest version, with the most up-to-date features, security patches, and support for 3rd party operating system changes.2
• Unlimited customer support and data recovery at no additional charge (a $299.99 annual value).4
• Premium subscription features, like automatically creating and categorizing receipt expense transactions.
Distribution for QuickBooks Desktop
Our transition to a subscription-forward lineup will occur at the time of our 2022 product release - scheduled for October 12, 2021.
We will offer a limited time exception for the purchase of our Desktop Pro, Premier and Mac 2021 one-time purchase licenses (supported through May 2024) to avoid disruption to you and your clients. These products will be available via QuickBooks Solutions Providers (QSPs) and Intuit sales agents until December 10, 2021.
To ensure uninterrupted support for your clients, we are extending the availability of our QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Edition one-time purchase licenses to accountants. These will be available for sale to accountants through QuickBooks Solutions Providers (QSPs) and Intuit sales agents. The 2021 Accountant Edition will be available until December 10, 2021. And the 2022 Accountant Edition will be available until next year's product introductions.
ProAdvisor Pricing for QuickBooks Desktop
The following prices will be effective starting September 28, 2021:

QuickBooks Desktop ProAdvisor
Premier Bundle ProAdvisor Enterprise Bundle
ProAdvisor Software Bundle pricing $499 $849
For more details on ProAdvisor bundles, please see the ProAdvisor page.

QuickBooks Desktop One-time purchase
(supported through May 2025)
Accountant Edition 2022 pricing $799.99 1-user

WBR  
I have one client still using QuickBooks Desktop 2011. Should we tell those clients that are using older versions of QuickBooks Desktop to upgrade to QuickBooks 2021, to avoid the subscription plan?

Heads up on converting old clients from QB11 etc.
Sometimes these files need to be brought forward incrementally, in my experience.
Which means restoring to a QB version every 3-5 years, until you can get them to a current version.
The last one I had to do a couple years ago was for QB10, and I went to QB13, QB 16, then QB19.
I kept receiving errors when trying to restore directly into QB19.

I am extremely disappointed with QB for making this change, but I understand it's the way things are going these days.

Wiles  
Going forward, if I have QB 2022 & QB 2023 & QB 2024 installed, am I paying 3 subscriptions every month?

fish  
going forward, if i have QB 2022 and 2023 and 2024 installed... i'm retiring because i can't keep up with tax law changes much less whatever subscription program QB came up with plus what Thomson Reuters is doing as well as trying to learn Facebook and Linkedin and SEO and i've decided it's all just too damn much

dhcpa  
Would assume ( and hope ) that if on pro advisor platform all would remain active , hopefully they will be upfront about that.

The ProAdvisor's should retain active licenses of QBD Premier for periods still supported. Retail customers are automatically given the latest version, so having 2021, 2022, 2023, etc., installed, at least historically, has not triggered multiple subscriptions.

I am still trying to find an alternative to QBD where I do not need to use it within my firm unless provided by an accountant's copy by a client. I use it for when I need to prepare my own financials for tax papers, and the few payrolls I do since QBO Payroll SUCKS! I do not want to pay for another payroll service when I have 50 licenses I can use with QBD.

Derby  
Looks like an accountant-only 2022 version (no subscription/upgrades, good for 3 years) will still be available, if I'm reading that last line correctly.

Still, not sure if I'll be buying it. I have only 4 clients on QBD 2019, and I've been considering switching them to Xero because bank feeds will work better.

Has Xero improved at all for actual bookkeeping/accounting that is not incredibly dumbed down? I agree their bank feeds are great but I took issue with how dumbed down they are to appeal to consumers (more so than QBO). But then another question is payroll...

MikeH  
Where does one buy the Accountants' copy for 2021? I'm not finding it online through several searches.
Mike Hartfield
Bullhead City, Arizona
Cell: 818/433-5359

I get it through my ProAdvisor subscription and then you can add licenses as needed. I don't do much with QBD so I just stick with the single license since no one needs concurrent access to a client file.

MikeH wrote:Where does one buy the Accountants' copy for 2021? I'm not finding it online through several searches.

Want QuickBooks Accountant Desktop without ProAdvisor, or for multiple users? Call (800) 459-0424.

MikeH  
Thanks.
Mike Hartfield
Bullhead City, Arizona
Cell: 818/433-5359

Joanmcq  
I only use QBD for my own financials, plus maybe 2 clients. One client has 2021 as her last year and other is going to on site bk, so hopefully I will get the financials. I have 2019 Pro on an old computer because I couldn’t migrate the program to a new computer, nor could I find a new copy of QBD Pro that wasn’t a subscription. My bk is not complicated at all. Does anyone either know where to get this copy of QBD download, or have a suggestion for new software? I really don’t want to go to the cloud.

I use Moneyworks from Cognito software. I use the Gold because it allows me to produce monthly financials for clients efficiently. If you don’t need that, Express is fine.

Cashbook (designed for the US market) is subscription-based at the princely sum of $0.00 per month. No that is not a typo. The Cashbook “subscription” gets you access to simple accounting software on your desktop for as long as your computer works with the software, as Cashbook is no longer being updated.

Technical support is as likely to come from the Managing Director as it from one of his employees.

AccountEdge is an alternative to QBD but it has a lot of weaknesses, IMO. Though, I have a client that runs several multi-million dollar companies with it.

Ooh, nevermind--just realized AccountEdge is end of life and it sounds like MoneyWorks is its replacement.

I believe only AccountEdge for Mac is coming to an end. Shame. It was decent at payroll integration. Moneyworks doesn’t do that and has made a virtue of it. I like Moneyworks because it is manual bookkeeping that harnesses computers sensibly. Mind you, you can automate more than you could, say, eight or ten years ago.

CP Hay  
This doesn’t surprise me at all. Intuit says they want to “deliver greater value” but to whom? Less value to the consumer if he or she has to constantly subscribe or update the software instead of a 1-time purchase. It’s never enough for the big companies and from the looks of recent acquisitions (Mailchimp) they’re not done.

Does anyone either know where to get this copy of QBD download, or have a suggestion for new software?

If you have the license number and product code you should be able to download QB2019 from the Intuit website to install on another machine. (You might need credentials to log in, but it is very possible to download full versions of QB, going back a number of years from the website.)

Wiles  
https://downloads.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/products
Look for "standard setup" link after answering 'No' to this question:
"Will you be using QuickBooks Desktop on multiple computers at the same time (multi-user mode)"

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development