Intuit Online Payroll "Migration"

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Does anyone run payroll through "Intuit Online Payroll"?

I have several clients there, and I worry that I will have to "migrate" them over to QB online payroll, and that "Intuit Online Payroll" (IOP) will completely stop working at some point very soon.

The problem is, when I call and chat with numerous technical and sales agents, I get COMPLETELY different answers on

1) Will IOP completely stop working at some point and I am forced to migrate
2) When I do "migrate", what needs to be done on my end?

Has anyone had any insights to this situation?

JAD  
That's what I also use for my own tiny corporation payroll. I think we have until year-end, and then kaput. I have not figured out what I am going to do, but I will probably move away from Intuit. There is another thread where people mentioned Patriot and Gusto. If you check them out, lemme know what you think. I'm not addressing this until post-10/15

Thanks JAD...

I "loath" Intuit and I have already been setting up all NEW clients with Patriot for about 2 years and I have been happy with them.

I expect to move 30 clients from Intuit to Patriot with an effective date of 01-01-2022.

I plan is to set things up in November and December and then just pull the trigger for the new year. This is a big and stressful project, of course.

My concern now, hearing you mention that the IOP interface will terminate on 12/31/2021 is that, "how will we file the W2s, 941s etc."? It would be nice if they let it go through the 31st of January.

I was told by one agent that it is going to actually go through November 2022 now, not sure if this can actually be relied on. I am not debating whether to switch to Patriot or go with QB Online Payroll.

JAD  
I hadn't thought about the W-2s and final payroll reports. If they don't see us through on those filings, it is going to be a mess.

A friend of mine is moving all of his run ADP. He might actually save some money based on the discounting they gave him.

We primarily use QBD for payrolls. When that goes I’ll be fishing for solutions.

Wait, I am not familiar with all of Intuit's offerings. Did they have a dedicated cloud payroll service? Or are you referring to a discontinuance of payroll through QBO?

I'm not sure what the online payroll is referring to. I've always run payroll through my desk top versions and I have one client using direct deposit, but within the desktop platform. Is that changing? Are they discontiniuing that?

I have an email from Paychex and in it, it says: " QuickBooks Desktop Moving to subscription Model On October 12, 2021 for all new subscriptions." I've always had to pay an annual fee (subscription price) to use payroll. It started at something like $165 annually and is now up to $800 or so annually.

Did they have a dedicated cloud payroll service?

Yes, Intuit had a service outside/independent of QuickBooks that was called, "Intuit Online Payroll for Accounting Professionals"

We don't like Intuit payroll and try to switch new accounting clients to Gusto especially for the clients that need a lot of hand holding or have failed to file quarterly payroll reports in the past.

actionbsns wrote:I have an email from Paychex and in it, it says: " QuickBooks Desktop Moving to subscription Model On October 12, 2021 for all new subscriptions." I've always had to pay an annual fee (subscription price) to use payroll. It started at something like $165 annually and is now up to $800 or so annually.

These large payroll companies love to send out information out of proper context. They definitely choose to relay what is in their favor vs. the entire story.

I really got on the case of an ADP Accountant rep that sent me an e-mail indicating Quickbooks Desktop was no longer supporting payroll and would that prompt me to switch to their ADP Accountant payroll ssytem. It was when 2018 QBD internet-connected services stopped being supported and pissed me off, because I know she sent that same e-mail to payroll clients that did not know the truth.

JR1  
ADP is working me pretty hard, but then sent a sheet over for me to enter all the client info....it would be hours and hours of pains-taking work. And I've seen ADP's pricing, can't imagine it being better.

For now, I'm holding. Intuit has assured that iop will continue thru year end, at least. What bites my butt is they bought that stand alone product, which works REALLY GREAT! only to then kill it. B@$tards they are.

I suppose it's just more thing we'll have to get used to. That they can transport it all to QB Online makes it too easy....
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

I talked to an Intuit rep couple month ago. I was told there will be no more wholesale pricing. We get 20% off the regular price. I don't mind moving to Quickbook payroll but moving there would effectively kill my payroll practice. It wouldn't be worth the time.

I probably will end up with Patriot. Let's just hope Patriot don't get bought out by Intuit.

JR1  
20%? That's it? Why would we bother with it, then?

Makes migration to something else easier to swallow.

eric1032 wrote:I talked to an Intuit rep couple month ago. I was told there will be no more wholesale pricing. We get 20% off the regular price. I don't mind moving to Quickbook payroll but moving there would effectively kill my payroll practice. It wouldn't be worth the time.

One agent told me that my current rate and terms per client would not change. Another told me that there would be no wholesale prices at all. So now we have 3 different answers.

JR1  
More from ADP. They now will ask my clients for e-signature authorization to access the records and will key it all themselves!!! Done at 1/1, no data to enter, merely census data. She's making it sound easy.

And looking at fee structure, my cost would increase from 303 to around 360+, or about 20%....no bad. A $5-10 increase per month to each client would cover that and protect the revenue.

I think Intuit plans on more than that, but they're not saying.

dsocpa  
Intuit is notorious for starting a service then stopping. Has happened with ProSeries as well. Not sure about Lacerte. I am still using QB desktop payroll, which I've used exclusively since 1999. I'd heard IOP was awful, then started to get better. Now I hear it's going to be discontinued. Sounds like the new cloud based QB payroll will require a QBO subscription?
I'm starting to investigate payroll alternatives for 2022. QBD payroll really ticked me off with the federal tax deposit rejects. I had one that wasn't picked up until August from January. I had to eat the penalty.
I've tried reaching out to Gusto having heard they were fairly good. Never received a return call. I seem to be getting more clients that need payroll, and I would love to get rid of it. A service that handles most of the details would be ideal just not sure about the cost.

dsocpa, take a look at SurePayroll. Subsidiary of Paychex with lower prices than them.

JAD  
I just received an email from Intuit re this issue. HIghlights:

Through May 2022, rest assured you can continue to run payroll and 1099s for yourself and your clients on Intuit Online Payroll as you do today.

Whew. I was worried about them cutting off at year-end, before annual reports were done.

Starting in June 2022, if you have not transitioned your payroll clients, we will make the transition for you. Well ahead of time, we'll be in touch with details on timing for this transition. In either case, each transition over to a standalone QuickBooks Online Payroll service will be seamless, with no work required by you or your clients. The interface you use will change from Intuit Online Payroll to QuickBooks Online Payroll, but all your payroll data stays safely where it is, including reports, notes and alerts.*

I wonder if the online experience will be as similar as the names. That is the main issue for me. If I have to jump through any hoops, I'm jumping over to Gusto.

Yes, I received this today as well.

I will be moving nearly all of my clients away from Intuit (to Patriot) for the new year anyway. I just don't trust Intuit to do a decent job with this based on prior experiences. I also am not happy with customer service and other items. These are not just about petty complaints either - it's honestly been an awful experience with them.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development