Signing the tax return as the preparer

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I will send an electronic copy of a tax return to a client who will then have to paper file the tax return.

My question is about my signature as the preparer. I do not have the device to electronically sign through my computer (I know I am old school). My tax software can print my name on the space of the preparer's signature. Is that good enough or do I have to find a way to put my hand signature on it?

CathysTaxes  
I place my hand signature using Adobe Reader. So far, no issues.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

AlexCPA  
MeaningfulIdea wrote:My tax software can print my name on the space of the preparer's signature. Is that good enough or do I have to find a way to put my hand signature on it?

That's good enough. Per the Internal Revenue Manual (IRM -- emphasis mine):

20.1.6.5.2 (08-25-2020)
Failure to Sign Return—IRC 6695(b)

IRC 6695(b) no longer requires a manual signature. The IRS will permit tax return preparers to sign original returns and amended returns by rubber stamp, mechanical device, or computer software program. These alternative methods of signing must include either a facsimile of the individual tax return preparer's signature or the individual tax return preparer's printed name. Tax return preparers utilizing one of these alternative means are personally responsible for affixing their signatures to returns. See Notice 2004–54, IRB 2004–33 209. The signature requirement may also be satisfied if the tax return preparer signs the completed return, makes a photocopy of the return, and the taxpayer signs and files the photocopy. See Rev. Rul. 78–370, 1978–2 C.B. 336.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

If electronic, I rely on the printed name which satisfies IRS rules. If a physical copy, then I do a wet ink signature over the printed name.

If something needs to be paper filed, I process for paper filing, hand sign and date where applicable, then FedEx to the client.

I guess I could just export to PDF with my name printed and the date populated, then send the PDF to the client with instructions, but I've found that actually takes more time than processing for paper file on my end (e.g. printing and paper clipping together with instructions highlighted and "Sign Here" stickers for the client and including a pre-addressed large mailing envelope) and leads to more mistakes and more questions.

If a paper return is required, I never let the client assemble it. Even the "government copy" contains excess crap that is not required to be filed, or they could easily fail to submit Federal with State (if required), etc. Fortunately I do so few printed returns, I rarely have to think about it.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:If a paper return is required, I never let the client assemble it. Even the "government copy" contains excess crap that is not required to be filed, or they could easily fail to submit Federal with State (if required), etc. Fortunately I do so few printed returns, I rarely have to think about it.

Right. Which requires very very detailed instructions via email about what to do and where exactly to sign. That's a huge time sink. It's so much easier just to process for paper filing and FedEx/courier/have the client pick up.

I don't do many paper filed returns as well. Where we can efile, we efile.

I'm with CS and MVT.

In these spots I have the client print at least the signature page, wet sign, and mail the return to me, then I wet sign and file with the IRS. I see that my wet signature is not necessary, but I like to assemble and check the return prior to mailing.

Return to Business Operations and Development