Hosting

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I need to make a progression for hosting locally installed applications that are not yet available in Cloud. This includes Lacerte, QBD, SmartVault (desktop softare), and TaxDome (desktop software), perhaps Excel, and OneDrive. I prefer to be in the 80-100GB storage capacity though unlimited would sure be nice so I never have to think about it.

I have looked at Sage Next, Intuit (via RightNetworks), and SwizzNet (I think??). Some are absurdly expensive, others are middle of the road, others are what I would deem reasonable for needs and security protocols.

Anyone have particular experiences with the ones I named, or others? What I do not like about SwizzNet is the monthly fee plus the 1, 2, or 3 year contract commitment, though I like that they cater to CPAs. Others do not require a commitment so if services suck, I an easily make a change. But still, paying 50-100% more than other providers is hard to swallow for no real apparent benefits to justify it, other than SwizzNet is 100% U.S.-Based support. Though, I believe SageNet is, too.

There's a company called SwizzNet? Oh dear. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... lish/swizz

wel  
I've used Ace Cloud and RightNetworks. I like RightNetworks.

smtcpa  
I've used both Infinitely Virtual and Verito. I currently use Verito. Very good service, reasonably priced, no contracts. https://www.verito.com/

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I need to make a progression for hosting locally installed applications that are not yet available in Cloud. This includes ...TaxDome (desktop software)

I thought TaxDome was cloud/web based?

Not to derail the thread, but how do you like it so far? I'm going to do my deep dive after 10/15.

It is cloud, but they have a Desktop App to help make it more efficient to load files to the portal. I have not yet used the Desktop App but I am liking what I seeing so far in TaxDome itself--though, I am still setting it up and will slowly roll it out to clients between late Q4 with an ultimate deadline of June 30, 2022.

The problem I am encountering is the TD Desktop App is not approved by a lot of vendors for installation, and certainly not on Right Networks. TD is developing a "Right Networks friendly application" but I have not seen a release date. So, now I am considering a virtual server that I can then also utilize for employees to access certain applications and data, use as their actual desktop, etc. But, I want it managed by well-known and respected companies, not a random local IT firm (been there, seen that...not again, at least where I live). I see more pros than cons to this arrangement given security concerns and the fact I am virtual services, plus other things I cannot discuss at the moment.

El1  
I use Ace Cloud and not too happy with them. Constant freezes and kick outs of the server. Tech support is in India.

I ended up going with Kamatara, decided a virtual server was a better route than various hosting platforms that had so many restrictions. Pricing is reasonable and the services have been very reliable and quick. They're also very responsive with support inquiries. I have been using it for QBD for a couple of months and am going to move Lacerte over to it once I have a day to dedicate to it. Sits behind a firewall, fully managed with ESET antivirus.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I ended up going with Kamatara, decided a virtual server was a better route than various hosting platforms that had so many restrictions. Pricing is reasonable and the services have been very reliable and quick. They're also very responsive with support inquiries. I have been using it for QBD for a couple of months and am going to move Lacerte over to it once I have a day to dedicate to it. Sits behind a firewall, fully managed with ESET antivirus.

How much are you paying, if you don’t mind sharing

It varies based on server specs but between the firewall server, managed services, ESEP, and the virtual server config I elected, it's around $150/mo which includes two user RDP licenses. I think each additional user is around $10/mo. While Kamatara is doing its own backups of my server, I also have CrashPlan Business running on it to back up the data files. The ability to install any application I want (only restriction is it cannot be illegal) is why I went with a virtual server vs. one of the numerous hosting options.

I forgot how much the firewall server cost. I'm paying $208/month for my virtual server setup.

wel wrote:I've used Ace Cloud and RightNetworks. I like RightNetworks.

Right networks appears to be Proseries..... is that correct???

Intuit uses RightNetworks for their cloud and hosted software.

sjrcpa  
On the Intuit forums I hear lots of complaints about RightNetworks. FWIW.

MWEA  
Looking to have a remote employee access an already set up work station in our office. Has anyone done this on here? Does it work well? Looking at LogMeIn. Wondering if this would be a good near term solution rather than moving everything to a remote server.

LogMeIn works very well, it is also just very expensive. It used to be very reasonable and then they had huge market success, and the price now reflects it. I switched over to ScreenConnect and like it, but keep in mind it only allows one connection per remote PC. If you need multiple simultaneous connections to same server, you'll need to move to a Windows Server platform with sufficient RDP licenses.

I am quite fond of my hosted server via Kamatera.

El1  
MWEA wrote:Looking to have a remote employee access an already set up work station in our office. Has anyone done this on here? Does it work well? Looking at LogMeIn. Wondering if this would be a good near term solution rather than moving everything to a remote server.

I recommend TeamViewer. Their have a 1 person remote access license for around $300/year.
I've worked with other remote software and TeamViewer is the best and the most stable.

El1  
El1 wrote:
MWEA wrote:Looking to have a remote employee access an already set up work station in our office. Has anyone done this on here? Does it work well? Looking at LogMeIn. Wondering if this would be a good near term solution rather than moving everything to a remote server.

I recommend TeamViewer. Their have a 1 person remote access license for around $300/year.
I've worked with other remote software and TeamViewer is the best and the most stable.

Just looked up their pricing and the remote access pricing is $84/year. That's a great deal!
This subscription option is hidden on their website. The direct link is https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/lo-remote-access/

TeamViewer has had some security issues in the past--look into them before committing. It is partly why I have remained with ScreenConnect, which is very stable.

El1  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:TeamViewer has had some security issues in the past--look into them before committing. It is partly why I have remained with ScreenConnect, which is very stable.

I used ScreenConnect which is now called Connectwise and went back to TeamViewer.
Had daily freezes with Connectwise and hours lost of productivity.

Return to Business Operations and Development