Do we need a local IT support provider?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I work for a small CPA firm with in-house server and about 15 - 20 workstations. We will need to change our managed IT support provider as our local guy is retiring and moving away. We are dumb about many things including IT support services. There is only one other local company that provides service and owner is the spouse of our biggest competitor so we are not really keen on using them but I feel like we need a provider that can put boots on the ground to help us set up / replace workstations, etc.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for me or experience with companies like TechGuruIT for their managed support services?

TY

There are a TON of managed services providers, including virtualized desktops. You technically still need physical devices to access, but much of the burden is offloaded. So, the short answer, without knowing where you operate, is "no." Longer answer may be "yes" but the other IT provider being spouse of a competing firm is certainly something to seriously consider, and it does not help that I am inherently distrustful of people.

ATSMAN  
Do your due diligence before selecting a virtual provider. Most of them work out of places like India and they can help you remotely for configuration, testing etc BUT if they don't have a local partner to visit your site, some of the services like installing new workstations etc. is going to be limited.

We have an office that is about 8 hours away from where the US based IT provider is. We do most of our work for remote desktop connection onto a virtual machine. IT has access to control the computers remotely. Setup of new computers is basically done by some of the onsite non-IT staff. Not much more to it usually than plugging in monitors. The rest of the setup is all done remotely. Has worked pretty well so far.

Return to Business Operations and Development