Keyboard Upgrade

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I got a new keyboard a couple of months ago. Logitech K235, along with the wireless mouse. The keyboard was a massive mistake. The keys are too close together and there are no Number Lock or Caps Lock lights. The latter is a veritable pain in the posterior, especially when it comes to typing passwords.

Any suggestions on a decent keyboard that will solve those problems? I don't mind paying for quality of it's going to last me a few years. The extra dollars can easily be made up in time savings from correcting my typing.

I have a Logitech K540 and really like it! I also have a Logitech wireless mouse, but think I purchased it separately. It has M310 on the bottom of it. I purchased both of these at Staples a couple of years ago and have had no issues with either.

I am not a fan of the thin keys on that type of keyboard, and prefer the blockier keys from somewhat old school keyboards, without being a true mechanical switch keyboard snob.

What was your last keyboard? Do you have the Make/model, or model number of that one as a point of reference?
Are you looking to stay wireless?

Previous one was a Logitech K120 which worked until it got old. I'd prefer wireless but would go wired for the right keyboard that hits all my requirements.

Seaside, does your keyboard come with a Number Lock light? I looked at the Staples reviews and one or two mentioned no Number Lock light.

It does not have a Num Lock light. That is one key I never use, so it doesn't bother me. I am a very fast typist (by feel-not sight), so I am very picky when it comes to keyboards. The ones that have keys that are small, or very little space between them, do not work for me. On the K540, you can actually keep your fingers on the keys without looking with no problem, as the keys are like the old keyboards. It does have a light on the caps lock key itself.

I also do adding machines by feel, and the number keypad is also a good size and can be done without looking.

Some of the newer keyboards do not work for me, as the keys hardly have breaks between them and seem small.

ATSMAN  
I have been buying Logitech keyboards since the original Windows days. It works great, good quality. The ones that come with the computers are basically cheap junk IMHO :(

I use a mechanical keyboard, but I'm not a snob about it... I don't think :lol:

Mine is just a basic WASD 104-key backlit keyboard with Cherry MX clears. I bought it in 2017, still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Natura ... =8-10&th=1

That is the one I have used for years. I'm on my second or third one. It is wired, but I like that as I hate changing out batteries and things getting "spotty" when batteries are waning.

I admit the ergonomic layout takes a while to get used to, but once you're used to it, any other keyboard feels uncomfortable.

I don't know why the price is that high on Amazon. Must be a fluke or a product supply chain problems across the board right now.

I am using a Logitech Ergo K860 (took me a while to get used to, now love it, but also find it difficult to type on a flat keyboard because my fingers have gotten used to the new spacing). It has a caps lock button but not one for num lock. BUT, if you install the Logitech software on your PC, it will display on screen as soon as you turn caps or num lock on or off. Another keyboard I like but am not currently using is a Logitech MX Keys, which is fully backlit. Not important since I type by feel, and also only a caps lock light vs. also a num lock.

The simplest solution is installing the Logitech keyboard and mouse software on your PC so you can see exactly when caps and num lock are on or off. It momentarily flashes up a square box at bottom of primary screen.

I'll say the one thing I hate about most Logitech keyboards, right now, is the placement of the screen lock key right above the * button on number pad. I have unintentionally locked my screen so many times.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I looked at the ergonomic keyboards. I can see why they would be very good for many people. However, my typing is rather unconventional, to the extent that my right hand is as likely as my left to type E, R, D and sometimes S. Sometimes my left hand strays to the right hand side of the keyboard, due to a broken finger that my doctor said to not bother getting fixed.

I looked at mechanical keyboards and e-mailed an online seller. They said to consider a separate number pad. I had never thought of that, but it would allow me to center the "typing" part of the keyboard and have the number pad offset like an adding machine. Mind you, I do alternate between typing and number-keying quite a bit, especially when doing bookkeeping. Not sure how that would work.

Beagle  
Once I went from a traditional computer to a laptop I couldn't imagine going back. I plug my laptop into monitors and I'm ready to go in the morning. Can take it with me to meetings, lock it in my desk at night so nobody can steal it or access it. If working from home or at a clients office - zero problems the entire firm goes with me.

Once I went wireless on my mouse, keyboard and keypad - couldn't image going back. It's so much cleaner and as for batteries I have rechargeable and I swap them out every quarter. It's in my calendar to remind me every quarter and I've never had a battery go out. I have two extras in my printer bag in case they would go out when I'm out of the office. Yes, I also have a mobile printer for meetings. It's nice to print up something like a 2827 and have the client sign a clean copy in their home.

Return to Business Operations and Development