Collecting When Company's Owner Passed

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Good morning all,

Looking for some advice on how you'd softly word a payment request letter in this circumstance.

A long term client recently passed away. His children are taking over the business and have verbally stated their intentions to stay with us for services (we do their taxes, payroll, quarterly accounting, 1099s/W-2s, etc.) Of course we will have them sign a new engagement letter before completing any further services.

The company has a current balance of over $5K. A member of our staff typically goes to their location at the end of each month and picks up a check from the owner (recently the checks have been $1000/month). Since he passed a few weeks ago, we did not go and pick up our end of November payment.

We are unsure if the children are aware of the amount of the balance and the informal payment arrangement their dad had going. Ideally we'd love for the children to pay the balance off now and start fresh if possible. I want to ensure my request for a payment soon is worded sensitively. We do not want to offend and definitely want to keep the company as a client.

Thank you for any suggestions!

sjrcpa  
Send the company a bill?
And set up a meeting to discuss how you'll work together now.

smtcpa  
Exactly. Don't make it complicated.

sjrcpa wrote:Send the company a bill?
And set up a meeting to discuss how you'll work together now.

Thanks! I do tend to overcomplicate things.

Most of the time, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. You need to be understanding of their feelings but you also need to be paid for work done in good faith.

Return to Business Operations and Development