Survey - Why Clients Change Firms

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Has anyone seen the survey released by Canopy as to why clients are switching to CPA firms that offer greater technology resources? I found it pretty interesting, it confirmed my thoughts, but also did not realize how few firms are at the technology level clients desire. I received it from MI Society of CPAs. Basically, it states what I already know: clients want portals, mobile apps, and increased security. This is on top of the widely known issues surrounding prompt correspondence with their CPAs/assigned staff.

I use canopy and so far the feedback has been positive. I have one new 1040 client coming into 2022's prep season who's old accountant would actually prepare the returns in front of them H&R Block style. When I told them they could take pictures of their documents and sign everything from their computer or phone they were 100% onboard.

It's not surprising.

A certain level of technology is expected at this point. e.g. client portals and remote esignature.

I would think that a firm that requires one to drop off their tax documents and come in to sign and pay by check might generally encounter difficultly onboarding new clients below the age of 40. Of course, a firm with a good reputation could probably get away with it.

I have been talking with a lot of CPAs the past few months and I really am amazed how few offer portals, eSignatures, etc. The survey results back up what I have been observing. I guess since I am younger, I thought far more firms offered this technology that I have been using for years.

The most difficult to onboard with technology are older people, but they all have cell phones and can generally text. If they can do that, they can certainly figure out using a simple mobile app and their phones to "scan" documents, sign engagement letters and eFile forms, etc.

PM if you want to go over my experience with Canopy. I pay about $180 a month for 400 contacts.

I'm on TaxDome. I looked at Canopy but decided TaxDome better suited my needs.

I would say our firm is a 2 on the scale of 1-10 technology wise. We do not take any form of electronic payments, only checks. No electronic signatures or portals. We do not really use text to communicate and most of us rarely use our cell phones for business or personal. Of course, most of the people who work here are older as are most of our clients. And I would say 70%-75% of our revenue is corporate work.

Ironically, I just received an email from Canopy while our secretary is printing out the organizers that will be sent out via the US Postal service.

Return to Business Operations and Development