Tic Tie Calculate - Alternative?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Has anyone found an alternative to SafeSend's Tic Tie Calculate? I have been using it for a couple of years based on a suggestion I found on this website, but I have ALWAYS had issues with it bookmarking/paginating correctly. That defeats much of its useful purpose other than annotations.

I would like to find an alternative that works with PDFs since that is the format of tax documents I work with. is there one, or is TTC it? Their support has not been the least bit helpful in resolving my bookmark/pagination issues, and now it appears their website for creating your own bookmark template is dead.

smtcpa  
We also use TTC and were concerned by the bookmark template comment. We reached out to support who confirmed that yes, their builder is defunct at this time due to Silverlight discontinuing support. Their developers are releasing a new builder but have not yet released dates. The support person I spoke with estimated next week it might be released.

We have not had many issues with the bookmarking/pagination, other than when we accidentally changed the bookmark template we are using. It would be nice to see some development in the product though. It hasn't changed in the 6-7 years we've been using it.

My bookmarking and pagination has never worked. It places pages completely out of order or backwards.

Camden Sutherland responded to my complaint about the issue persisting, still, and they indicated new version of TTC being released. I am pretty positive I would not have found out about it without inquiry, since they asked if I "wanted" to be upgraded to it without charge. They indicated early next week and that since I indicated I want the upgrade, I will be receiving a separate e-mail to activate the license and download the plug-in.

Not terribly impressed they were not making this common knowledge to users, but I'm also in a very pissy mood.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Has anyone found an alternative to SafeSend's Tic Tie Calculate? I have been using it for a couple of years based on a suggestion I found on this website, but I have ALWAYS had issues with it bookmarking/paginating correctly. That defeats much of its useful purpose other than annotations.

I would like to find an alternative that works with PDFs since that is the format of tax documents I work with. is there one, or is TTC it? Their support has not been the least bit helpful in resolving my bookmark/pagination issues, and now it appears their website for creating your own bookmark template is dead.

PDFlyer is with Thompson Reuters. Good luck trying to get through to someone though...

We use PDFlyer too, through CCH Axcess

wel  
I've used CCH's PDFlyer product, and it's good.
I've also used GruntWorx a bit. I liked PDFlyer a bit better, but that could be due to using PDFlyer much more. They have a lot of similarities.

wel  
I stumbled upon this thread again and wanted to clarify/expand upon my post above.

CCH's PDFlyer is an Adobe plugin that is similar to Tic Tie Calculate.
My experience with PDFlyer was that it was sold/paired with CCH's AutoFlow product. I'm not sure if it is sold separately.
PDFlyer is a very good product overall, however, I did experience some problems with repagination.

GruntWorx offers a service that organizes/bookmarks standard tax documents into a PDF workpaper. They have a service level that can also import data from these documents into several tax software platforms. I don't believe that they provide an Adobe plugin with workpaper referencing tools/calculator functionality, etc. It appears that they are now partnering with TTC for this.

SurePrep also offers a service that organizes/bookmarks standard tax documents. They have service levels that can also import data from these documents into several tax software platforms. They are not PDF based. They use a proprietary format that works with their SPbinder tool. I feel that they are "best in class" for recognition of tax info and for an excellent and efficient 1040 workpaper process (and are priced accordingly). This is an excellent system, but it does take time to learn. It also requires that your team use yet another tool - and you might prefer not to do this if you already have a solid paperless workflow process for other types of work.

My experience with the tax data recognition/accuracy by CCH's AutoFlow and GruntWorx was about equal. They're both good, but not as good as SurePrep.

I hope this is helpful.

I was upgraded to the new version of TTC and I still experience bookmark and pagination issues. I think my workaround is to mark each page with income on it and I'll put those at the top of the PDF file. That is my biggest concern (totaling income and comparing to tax return). I had an issue with same client two years in a row where income was entered in Lacerte but I did not catch (and neither did client) that it failed to flow through to the 1040. I figured out why but my procedures should have caught it. And, obviously, my procedures are now modified to prevent it in the future.

smtcpa  
We have been using TTC for about 5 years with no issues. I have an admin setup the PDF file once it comes back bookmarked from GruntWorx, and I add new pages all the time after the initial bookmarking process and it works fine.

Is it possible you are either using different computers that are linked to different bookmarking template files, or you are re-setting the template causing it to repaginate? Something to me makes me think it is how you are using TTC and not the TTC program itself.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I was upgraded to the new version of TTC and I still experience bookmark and pagination issues. I think my workaround is to mark each page with income on it and I'll put those at the top of the PDF file. That is my biggest concern (totaling income and comparing to tax return). I had an issue with same client two years in a row where income was entered in Lacerte but I did not catch (and neither did client) that it failed to flow through to the 1040. I figured out why but my procedures should have caught it. And, obviously, my procedures are now modified to prevent it in the future.

Nope. I have had the company behind TTC take a look at my process and results and they had no explanation for it other than "hopefully the upgrade resolves it."

I'll try playing with it again in February but so far it has caused me to waste more time on tax prep than just organizing the pages manually.

The upgrade to TTC 5 is out

I'm on 5.0.16

Return to Business Operations and Development