Virtual Firm Address

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
PghCPA  
Hello all!

I prepare an ever increasing number of tax returns from my home office. However, as the number of returns grows larger I have become more hesitant to include my home address on the "Firm Address" line of each tax return. Does anyone have a good solution to this problem?

I have a PO Box. Is it acceptable to put my PO Box address on this line without actually changing the address associated with my EFIN? I don't see much guidance from the IRS on this matter.

It depends on the tax software. I was able to use my PO Box when I was with UltraTax. Lacerte requires my physical address, which is my home.

When I obtained my EFIN, I worked out of my home as well, but had a PO Box. I use Lacerte and Ultra Tax, and I have both showing my PO Box on the returns.

How did you get Lacerte to accept a PO Box? They required a physical address when I acquired their software...

PghCPA  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:It depends on the tax software. I was able to use my PO Box when I was with UltraTax. Lacerte requires my physical address, which is my home.

I use Drake. I called them and they said that using a PO Box will cause no issues in the software. However, the address associated with my EFIN is my home address. I suppose I could try changing the address associated with my EFIN. I would expect I'm not the first person to want to do that.

PghCPA  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:How did you get Lacerte to accept a PO Box? They required a physical address when I acquired their software...

Some PO Boxes in my area (mine included) offer street addressing. I've heard about this issue with Lacerte and I'm guessing that's the workaround. Interested to hear if there's another way though.

Cornerstone, I don't remember how I did it, as it was about 15 years ago. I do remember calling one of the software companies and telling them I did not want my home address showing up on the tax return as it was doing, and they handled it for me. Don't remember if it was Lacerte or Ultra Tax though.

Just FYI, my EFIN was mailed to my PO box, but the business location for the EFIN on the letter is my home address. My PO Box does not offer street addressing.

novacpa  
You may want to look into having a virtual office address in the Mellon Green area. Many Landlords
offer mail handling services, and a classy meeting room.
If you are looking to secure clients from the Pittsburgh Field Club, Oakmont CC, Fox Chapel, Long View CC,
Laurel Valley CC - they would not favor a residential address.
Of course, you will need a "scratch" golf game to feel comfortable playing in the SWAT at Oakmont.
Good Luck.

Return to Business Operations and Development