Windward Accounting Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
gusser  
Windward Accounting Software

Client is starting a plumbing supply business for contractors and mostly because of inventory control and associated activities can't use QuickBooks. I've never heard of Windward and hoping someone here can give me feedback on it. I don't want to be their bookkeeper and have to learn their system. We all know about garbage in/garbage out...

I am not familiar with Windward but if they want a robust accounting platform that is inventory focused, they should really be considering AccountingSuite or a separate inventory/warehouse management system that directly integrates with QB. Fishbowl is one, but again, crap in = crap out on any system. Windward has never even crossed my radar and I am always looking at accounting systems with more robust inventory functionality...

JR1  
And it would be shocking if it didn't export to QB somehow...iif files daily or something?
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

gusser  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I am not familiar with Windward but if they want a robust accounting platform that is inventory focused, they should really be considering AccountingSuite or a separate inventory/warehouse management system that directly integrates with QB. Fishbowl is one, but again, crap in = crap out on any system. Windward has never even crossed my radar and I am always looking at accounting systems with more robust inventory functionality...

Is AccountingSuite easy to deal with from the accountant's standpoint? I don't suggest QuickBooks inventory at all because it stinks. I just want to be able to do the taxes without visiting the client or remoting into a software I have to 'learn'. If it is seamless then I can ignore inventory/COGS.

Reporting wise, AccountingSuite is fairly simple for someone to navigate. It does take a fair amount of knowledge to properly set up, though, just like any system.

Depending on exactly what they need for inventory, Quickbooks might be just fine. It's very basic, as you know, but that may be the best route. Still, I successfully utilized it for up to about $3 million in sales and hundreds of SKUs (Enterprise, though I recall QBO Advanced having increased functionality) before moving onto a dedicated inventory/warehouse management system that integrated with QB. Who has actually decided it cannot meet their needs and what functions are needed that only other software can fulfill?

gusser  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:Reporting wise, AccountingSuite is fairly simple for someone to navigate. It does take a fair amount of knowledge to properly set up, though, just like any system.

Depending on exactly what they need for inventory, Quickbooks might be just fine. It's very basic, as you know, but that may be the best route. Still, I successfully utilized it for up to about $3 million in sales and hundreds of SKUs (Enterprise, though I recall QBO Advanced having increased functionality) before moving onto a dedicated inventory/warehouse management system that integrated with QB. Who has actually decided it cannot meet their needs and what functions are needed that only other software can fulfill?

The client is in the plumbing supply business at employment and is starting her own. Lots of skews and inventory is expected. She played around with qb online and said it wasn't sufficient. I want something easy for ME to do the taxes.

I took a quick look at Windward, it's an ERP platform with a POS solution. Makes sense, but still no idea how it would be to navigate or pull relevant information.

Another option, if they're willing to use QBD, is Quickbooks POS. It is a decent system and works well with QBD as long as it is all set up properly. But, you're pretty well tied to Intuit for payment processing unless a separate card terminal exists and you manually enter payments in the POS. If Intuit's merchant services are utilized, it is very seamless.

gusser  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I took a quick look at Windward, it's an ERP platform with a POS solution. Makes sense, but still no idea how it would be to navigate or pull relevant information.

Another option, if they're willing to use QBD, is Quickbooks POS. It is a decent system and works well with QBD as long as it is all set up properly. But, you're pretty well tied to Intuit for payment processing unless a separate card terminal exists and you manually enter payments in the POS. If Intuit's merchant services are utilized, it is very seamless.

Thanks for the heads up. They have converted their QBO to QBD this week. If they went with something like QB POS then they would only need to find an integrated inventory system.

The POS has inventory functionality built into it. It just depends on exactly what they are looking for. Retail inventory tracking tends to be rather different than wholesale inventory tracking, with the latter requiring more functionality (which is why it then is also referred to as a warehouse management system).

gusser  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:The POS has inventory functionality built into it. It just depends on exactly what they are looking for. Retail inventory tracking tends to be rather different than wholesale inventory tracking, with the latter requiring more functionality (which is why it then is also referred to as a warehouse management system).

Thanks for the valuable input.

Return to Business Operations and Development