Tax Folders

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hello,

I don't provide a ton of paper file returns, but to return my client's information brought to me I'd like to offer them a nice tax folder. Does anyone here have one they can recommend?

Thanks!

Lockhart is probably the best in the industry but they are not cheap. Excellent quality though

Lockhart is definitely the nicest I have seen but the cost is outrageous. I stopped doing it because it was an unnecessary cost, but for when I do need to provide someone a paper copy, I bought plain, gloss white folders. Put business card inside, and I have very nice clear stickers I put on the front. Very clean looking and inexpensive.

Miami88  
I use some from Tenenz. I've used 2 different styles and both were nice. I will pushing more clients to go to portals this year but I'm sure I will still use some for at least the next several years.

jesella  
We use the ones from NATP. They're decent quality and a reasonable price.

sjrcpa  
Do you have letterhead and business cards?
We have our printer do folders for us.

Taxaway  
Another vote for Tenez. They have a wide assortment of folders from basic to stylish, customized (if you do, don't indicate the tax year!), and those designed for certain tax software, along with envelopes, etc.

ATSMAN  
IMHO most clients don't really appreciate the quality of tax folders as long as it is somewhat decent and not flimsy. Over the years I have switched from many vendors depending on the discount and I usually buy the Navy Blue with pocket and window for name. I don't buy the mailing envelopes instead use Staples or Office Depot brand clasp envelopes.

In all these years no one has complained or complimented me for the folder itself!

So get the best deal you can get and mail them.

MWEA  
I’ll take the contrarian view, we use the Lockhart folders. It’s a small cost in the scope of the return pricing. We have received plenty of compliments on the folders. I’m a big believer that little things such as folders and quality of one’s office impact the perceived value and help justify a higher billing rate. I’m not making the argument that it makes rational sense.

I will tell you that when we pick up a new client and they provide us copies of prior year returns and/or financial statements that use the Lockhart folders, there is an instant assumption that the prior firm knew what they were doing and were probably charging a premium.

The opposite is true when the client drops off something in a poor quality folder.

PS And our firm does not use Lockhart as they are pricey

I purchased folder from Tenenz, the kind you staple the return at the top.
I found it to be more of a hassle than it's worth and I used one or 2 of 100.

To date I have only had one client complain about not receiving a folder.
That clients prior accountant had used folders, and she would store them in a bookcase in folders.
She needed 3-5 years of tax returns done, so she bought her own folders and let me know she wants a folder moving forward.

I use Tyvek mailers to mail and deliver tax returns.
They are pretty indestructible, and most clients keep the tax returns and all original docs in the tyvek for storage.

JAD  
Lockhart. After all that work, I want the client to receive the best presentation possible.

JAD wrote:Lockhart. After all that work, I want the client to receive the best presentation possible.

How many paper returns do you give though? I charge for paper copies as I use Canopy, but anything I give back to the client I'd like for them to have a folder from me.

Thanks!

JAD  
slightly more than 1/2 of my clients want paper returns, I would guess. I charge for my time binding the returns. I don't charge extra for the paper.

I have to say I am very thankful for my client base as it stands and as I move forward with new clients. None of them require physical copies except in very rare and unusual circumstances.

Tenant, but not the folder. I use the big envelope with two windows. One window is name and address and other is content description.

Gr8ful  
I use mines press. They are offering good quality items for a relatively good price. I also get my envelopes there too.

ATSMAN  
I foresee the use of expensive tax return folders decreasing over the years as we get our clients to receive a pdf of their return either e-mailing to them or securely downloading from your secure website. My use of tax return folders have reduced over the years. At one time it was almost 100% :o

Some shops have also branched into financial planning, estate retention etc. so their scope of services is much wider and I do see a need for "catchy" presentation folders.

We finally ditched folders and just staple the returns together for those who want paper copies. But we have a nice banded folder that holds the return and all client documents.

Beagle  
When I started doing taxes I asked several clients including several lawyers what type of product they wanted back and the consensus was it didn't matter at all. Their only opinions were it must be legible and they did NOT want a folder where their tax documents could become separated. My opinion was that the folder H&R Block delivers was the exact opposite of what they wanted.

We decided to give each client a manila envelope with our contact information and the year boldly on the front. Their tax return and all their documents (we print off the pdfs they mail us) are put into the envelope. Nobody has ever made a negative comment and many have thanked us for making it simple.

About 4 years ago I went into the office of a major client and there on the floor in the corner was about 30 of our envelopes stacked up. I commented on it and he said when he returned from our meeting he just tossed the new envelopes on the stack and that was his filing system. My assumption is that 98+% of our clients never open the envelope except when they refinance a loan. Having everything in one envelope to deliver seems to be a benefit for them.

When I started I thought I'd use those spiral bindings /coils to make a product - that was the one thing people hated for some reason. Oddly I sort of like them.

Return to Business Operations and Development