Have I mentioned how much I hate Intuit?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
JR1  
Yeah, I'm sure I have.

So last summer, QB Desktop 21 wouldn't open one day. I don't mean the company file, I mean the program. Splash screen and then nothing. Rebooted, no good. Spend 6 hours or so just to get where we could uninstall it (missing some files?) and clean re-install. All was well until last month, same thing.

So I tried all the tricks I'd learned before, ended up uninstalling it and just moving to 22, which had to do anyway.

Until yesterday, same exact thing. Tried all the ticks. No good. Uninstalled and clean install twice. No good.!!! Then uninstalled again, and now it won't even install!!!!

Can't even move my own company file to QBO (ack) because you have to get the desktop version to open to run the migrate file!!! So now I have to find a client who has 22 on and running in order to restore my back up and run that migration file...

These people. Then I discover I'm paying double just for Enterprise!
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

I market myself as “Not QuickBooks.” I’m sure I’ve not gained some clients as a result but those clients I have gained have been worth it.

Have you considered Acclivity (Accountedge) or Moneyworks? Moneyworks is based in New Zealand, do support is not instantaneous.

smtcpa  
Are you sure it's not a computer issue? We don't have any issues.

Agreed it’s a computer issue. I hate Intuit and QuickFlops. But we have 9 staffers use it on a regular basis and nothing like this has ever happened.

I think you need a new computer JR. a good year end deduction.

Frankly  
We don't have any issues.

That's one of the intuit characteristics - unexplained glitches that are uncommon. Computer hardware problems generally don't target to intuit products; all application software will experience problems.

JR1  
Turns out it is a computer issue. I decided to make one last futile attempt for support... And got the best tech ever, who would not give up and knew what he was doing. Today, we reset the pc, ugh. I still suspect that intuit caused the problem since it goes back to that. Missing or corrupt file in windows.

By the way, he upgraded me to win 11,even tho I didn't want to... It's fine. No worries. Go ahead.

The biggest issue is installing and uninstalling, or even updating, applications causes registry changes. Eventually this causes corruption that cannot be repaired and results in having to "reset" or reinstall Windows. I am detecting some issues on my primary laptop that are indicative of a looming "reset" and I do everything I can do keep my PCs in top notch condition.

JR1  
This just got nuclear. I can't recover my email address book (I use Thunderbird) even tho' the files were backed up.

Now I've discovered that my ProSeries tax files are missing, and on the backup as well. This is not good.....seeking a PC Recovery master now.

I'd have been better off to just abandon QB.

How did your back-ups get lost? I always back up outside of the program the data is used in and on a separate drive (ideally on removable media and taken off site)
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

+1, I hate Intuit for many reasons and I'm trying to slowly move away from their products.

JR1  
Odd thing is that every other data file is still on the pc, and on the backups. ONLY the ProSeries files are *poof*. Makes NO sense at all....but they're clearly not there....

So I figure I'll dummy up everyone's 2020 returns and transfer over to 21 to get the carryovers right, but I have no access to efile confirmations anymore....and have a client where IRS claimed he didn't file 2019.

Have you engaged a data retrieval professional?
I've seen where the index/table of contents get deleted, but the data is still there. A professional should be able to retrieve that.
~Captcook

JR1  
Yeah, did that the other day....no joy. I do have one national outfit that claims to be the best, and even when local guys can't get anything, they claim 60% success rate. . .maybe it's worth a couple hundred to find out. I can send my backup disk easily enough. Trouble is my pc is a Surface and no one can break in and remove the hard drive which is attached to motherboard.

JR1 wrote:Yeah, did that the other day....no joy. I do have one national outfit that claims to be the best, and even when local guys can't get anything, they claim 60% success rate. . .maybe it's worth a couple hundred to find out. I can send my backup disk easily enough. Trouble is my pc is a Surface and no one can break in and remove the hard drive which is attached to motherboard.

Damn...sorry to hear that. Hope they can figure it out!
~Captcook

JR1  
Thanks for your support, decided on further review to send off the Passport...worst case is that I spend a couple hundred for nothing, tho' I believe they do initial diagnosis for free.....but if they find the files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth a spin on the wheel.

Sorry to hear this JR1! Hope they can locate the files! On the bright side, be glad it happened now instead of two months later.

JR1  
Been thanking God that it's only Dec. . . .

Am I being paranoid to suggest a malicious hacker? Odd that the backups got removed at the same time.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

Andrew  
I'm dealing with a different issue involving Ultratax. The problems we're all facing nowadays is that companies that make billions a year, will change some programming in the background, often paying next to nothing for it, and now you and I can't access our files, and potentially are about to loose a lot of time, guaranteed, and in some instances, our whole business. That is if we, the ones who have no control over the programming, can't get the programming problems fixed.

What has changed is that you are no longer in control of your business. Software companies are. And you're the one that has to fix whatever they did ... These billion dollar companies are never responsible. We are ... because we use their software. You most likely have no other options because billion dollar companies are in control of the market place. Often there's no choice, realistically, of avoiding QB and QBO or billion dollar tax prep software like Intuit (which owns Lacerte, pro series and many more), Thomson Reuters and the likes.

Andrew wrote:What has changed is that you are no longer in control of your business. Software companies are. And you're the one that has to fix whatever they did ... These billion dollar companies are never responsible. We are ... because we use their software. You most likely have no other options because billion dollar companies are in control of the market place. Often there's no choice, realistically, of avoiding QB and QBO or billion dollar tax prep software like Intuit (which owns Lacerte, pro series and many more), Thomson Reuters and the likes.

This. And now with cloud software, hosting, virtual servers, etc., we are even more controlled by them. I do miss the days of "desktop" or "local" installations where I could avoid updates until I verified they did not create issues, but software companies have quickly eliminated that ability.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development