Client is demanding a draft is marked final.

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
For a lender of course.

I dont have his tax docs and the IRS is not ready with the new NOL worksheets.

At first he told me they would accept a draft. He saw the watermark and changed his tune.

I politely told him no, empathized with his stress over the situation, and briefly explained why.

The client is very upset with me.

Am I right about this?

If his lender can't accept the situation without documents and finalized forms, how could I?

HELL no. I have had the same request, I responded to both the client and lender, and they accepted that I could not provide a draft copy without it being watermarked as such. I then followed up with my standard language that a tax return is not a valid document for obtaining credit since the tax codes may cause the tax returns to not properly reflect actual income and cash flows.

Most banks I do work with are pretty reasonable, especially when they have worked with me in the past. If the return is extended, they just want a copy of the extension and find workarounds. Good bankers can identify workarounds, newbies or PITA bankers will stand firm with their dang checklists.

Seems to me the client is acting unreasonably here. Your engagement should never be to benefit a third party, I know that some people even put this in their engagement letters. I never will send a final copy that the IRS hasn't accepted if we haven't tried to e-file it. Is this a draft 2021 return? If so, was this done with paystubs? There's no way I'm giving a client a return without having the documents or wage & income transcripts if they have income reported on information returns (W-2's, 1099's, etc).

CathysTaxes  
ItDepends wrote:For a lender of course.

I dont have his tax docs and the IRS is not ready with the new NOL worksheets.

At first he told me they would accept a draft. He saw the watermark and changed his tune.

I politely told him no, empathized with his stress over the situation, and briefly explained why.

The client is very upset with me.

Am I right about this?

If his lender can't accept the situation without documents and finalized forms, how could I?

Stick to your guns. Your E&O Insurance and the IRS have rules against this. Your livelihood is on the line here.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

An unreasonable request without a doubt.

You agreed to provide a draft. If he'd demanded a "final" up front, your initial answer would have been the same as it is now.

The only thing this client would get from me at this point is a bill. I may not even finalize the return if they continue to be unreasonable.
~Captcook

TaxCut  
Tell client to find a new lender.

Return to Business Operations and Development