Married Couple Engagement Letter - one or both signatures

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
ocdtax  
Do you require both taxpayer AND spouse's signature on your engagement letter or is one signature sufficient? We have one of those clauses in our engagement letter that says something like "if you do not return this signed engagement letter but deliver your tax documents to us for tax preparation, you accept the terms of this engagement letter". Something like that. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if I can get by with one signature for a married couple. Curious what others require for their married couples.

For married filing joint engagements, both spouses are required to esign my engagement letter(s) and annual understandings. I don't think an individual can be bound by a contract that names them as a party if they don't sign.

Most of my clients get the engagement letter signed very quickly. And, the client(s) get follow ups every 7 days until they're fully executed which seems to help.

ocdtax wrote:We have one of those clauses in our engagement letter that says something like "if you do not return this signed engagement letter but deliver your tax documents to us for tax preparation, you accept the terms of this engagement letter".

Interesting. But IMO that seems like it wouldn't hold up. What if the client says that they never saw the engagement letter?

I insist on both signatures. You going to need both signatures to efile their returns.

Usually, it's one of the two spouses I deal with directly. I wouldn't want the other spouse to go rogue at a future date and claim she/he would never have agreed to the engagement letter provisions had she/he seen them.

dsocpa  
Both spouses must sign and date. Tax organizer as well is signed by both.

Engagement, both spouses. The questionnaire does not require a signature and only one spouse needs to complete it, but I have an audit log of who did what.

Return to Business Operations and Development