research database recommendation?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Can anyone recommend good research database with reasonable pricing?
I have been using this forum plus online search to try to find answers to tax questions. But would like to know other options. If you could also provide cost of the research tools, that will be really helpful.
Thank you!

Is the taxbook through Drake a good option?
And what will be the advantage of such tool over regular google search, etc.?
Thanks.

HowardS  
Type "research" in the search box. Lots of discussions/recommendations.
Retired, no salvage value.

When I opened my practice almost three years ago, I took out a subscription to Parker. I also got one or two books from The Tax Book each year. This past summer I added The Tax Book Web Library Plus, which comes with a hard copy of the deluxe book. I get two different styles. TTB is chatty and great for the quick answers. Parker is more in-depth. I find myself using TTB more and more.

Each company is up front and transparent on pricing.

I like Parker and The TaxBook for online resources. I also receive various book resources from ADP, PayChex, etc. that are useful, plus online resources via Wolters Kluwer courtesy of ADP. Establishing an accountant relationship with ADP is VERY beneficial even if I rarely or never refer a client to them--I just have to occasionally chat with their local rep that handles CPA and Accounting firms. The resources I get from them, for free, would cost me thousands if I paid for them.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I like Parker and The TaxBook for online resources. I also receive various book resources from ADP, PayChex, etc. that are useful, plus online resources via Wolters Kluwer courtesy of ADP. Establishing an accountant relationship with ADP is VERY beneficial even if I rarely or never refer a client to them--I just have to occasionally chat with their local rep that handles CPA and Accounting firms. The resources I get from them, for free, would cost me thousands if I paid for them.

Thanks.
Can you share how to get the online resources via wolters kluwer through ADP? I also has an accountant relationship with ADP but did not find that in my account.Thank you!

novacpa  
Wolters Kluwer bought out CCH, they own the tax software marketed as ATX. I dropped Drake and use ATX, for my practice is is very good, except for some "connectivity issues" - that's how you get their tax books (Master Tax Guide and the Tax Book) along with online research when entering data on a form.
Try "tax notes" for more detailed authority, Regulations, Rulings, Notices, Code, IR-Manual, Tax Court Cases.

taxp2345 wrote:Thanks.
Can you share how to get the online resources via wolters kluwer through ADP? I also has an accountant relationship with ADP but did not find that in my account.Thank you!

My rep automatically sends me the Wolters Kluwer Master Tax Guide each year, and you have access to the online resources via ADP Accountant Connect. I could not find where they had properly set me up for it, so I had to reach out to my rep to get it resolved. I now have access to US Master Tax Guide (and 35 years archives), State Law Library Online, State Payroll Law Compare, P&I Calculator, Key Facts and Figure Cards, Federal Tax Weekly, State Tax Review Newsletter, Client Letter Toolkit, COVID-19 Coverage, and various webinars.

Admittedly, I need to refer more to these resources but I tend to just go to Parker and The Tax Book since they're a lot simpler to access.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:
taxp2345 wrote:Thanks.

My rep automatically sends me the Wolters Kluwer Master Tax Guide each year, and you have access to the online resources via ADP Accountant Connect. I could not find where they had properly set me up for it, so I had to reach out to my rep to get it resolved. I now have access to US Master Tax Guide (and 35 years archives), State Law Library Online, State Payroll Law Compare, P&I Calculator, Key Facts and Figure Cards, Federal Tax Weekly, State Tax Review Newsletter, Client Letter Toolkit, COVID-19 Coverage, and various webinars.

Admittedly, I need to refer more to these resources but I tend to just go to Parker and The Tax Book since they're a lot simpler to access.

Thank you for the information!

MWEA  
I really like CCH Answer Connect. In particular, the state charts. It also seems to go deeper on some of the editorial comments that can be helpful at times. I still order the TaxBook for quick reference and love the PPC guides.

My order:
1. Quick reference item - the tax book.
2. Research item - CCH first. Then to the PPC guides for more understanding if needed.
3. State issues - CCH Smart Chart

MWEA wrote:I really like CCH Answer Connect. In particular, the state charts. It also seems to go deeper on some of the editorial comments that can be helpful at times. I still order the TaxBook for quick reference and love the PPC guides.

My order:
1. Quick reference item - the tax book.
2. Research item - CCH first. Then to the PPC guides for more understanding if needed.
3. State issues - CCH Smart Chart

Thank you!

I like Westlaw BNA portfolios but it’s probably expensive

Return to Business Operations and Development