iPhone or Samsung for your business?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Which one do yall use and why?

I just bought a Google Pixel and it's working well. Had an old Samsung before that.

My phone through the Microsoft Teams app is my favorite development.
~Captcook

ATSMAN  
I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy and I love it. I had an Apple 6 that was getting unsteady with the battery.

I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S7 to an S21 5G (non plus, non ultra) last year, refurbed from Amazon Prime for 6-700ish.
The battery in my S7 (also bought used) was no longer lasting all day.
I was going to buy new, buy the supply chain delays meant it would take over a month to get a new one from Samsung, while a refurbed one was a few hundred less, I would have it in a couple days, and if anything was wrong with it I could just ship it back to Amazon for a refund or replacement. (This model was released in Jan 2021, so it was only about 8-9 months old at that point.)

I prefer Android to Apple, but I've been an Android user since 2009 (original Moto Droid with the slideout keyboard!)
If they sold a phone (non-blackberry) with a slideout keyboard I would buy it in a heartbeat, and have even considered buying a bluetooth handheld keyboard. I type so much faster with tactile response.

Joan TB  
Our office has everything non-Apple, except my husband's ipad and iphone. Due to some specialty software we have to use, his apple devices were causing constant problems with his computer and our network. Now he has finally agreed (after lots of money paid to our tech guy to fix things over and over) to not have them sync anymore. He has adopted some workaround stuff so he still gets what he needs with a little manual input. I, however, have a Samsung phone and tablet, and they have never caused any problems with our office setup.

I find it annoying that the reason he went with the iphone was for its camera -- which of course, he doesn't use for business! Within our small office, I am the most techie person, so he keeps wanting me to help him figure out how to do something on his apple devices. I finally had to tell him that I just don't have the time (or desire) to deal with it anymore.... he (and Google) need to figure it out himself!

I think if your office is ALL Apple, or you have a dedicated IT department with a more sophisticated setup that we don't have, then you are OK mixing. In our case, it hasn't worked that great. I wish we were all android like a year ago....sigh.

iPhone Pro Max, I have not encountered any limitations with it for my practice. I hate Android devices. The one issue I have is with contacts syncing with Exchange/Office 365 and so many duplicates of contacts. Reality though is my contact list is 8+ years old and I really need to buy software to go through and do a deep cleanse. Some of the issues arose when I had to restore contacts from a backup.

Beagle  
I've never owned an Apple product in my life. Currently using a Samsung A32 and it is very quick and cheap. My wife has a Samsung S21 and the iPhone 13 (work provided) and we couldn't tell a significant difference except for the quality of the camera. I don't like using a phone for work stuff except email and my calendar.

Right after college I attended an NFL pro-day event at the University I attended (friend was in the media so I tagged along). Seems I have 10" hands which is rather large. Don't know if it makes a difference but phones don't fit in my hands very well.

I've discussed this with several IT companies that I respect, one of them being a client of mine. Apple does more from a security standpoint therefore I will only use Apple unless I hear otherwise. Case in point, one time I was caught off guard by a spam email that I opened on my phone. Once realizing what I had done I had three or four IT people from different companies tell me that I should be fine and that Apple does a far better job against malware than Android does. One of them said that if they are trying to figure if something is legitimate or not that they will sometime use an apple product to help them determine it knowing the built in security is much better. As for features, those are secondary to me.

I use Samsung/android.

I don't really use my phone to do "work" except for work calls and using it to check and send email when I'm away. Safe email practices are a first line of defense no matter what phone you have.

I also run a VPN on my phone. The connection is always encrypted and my true IP address and precise geolocation is obscured.

warnickcpa wrote:One of them said that if they are trying to figure if something is legitimate or not that they will sometime use an apple product to help them determine it knowing the built in security is much better. As for features, those are secondary to me.

This is why I have a separate e-mail I will forward questionable things to, and I have a cellular-only connected Chromebook that I will use to scan the files. I have only used it a few times so far but it proved my thoughts correct the very first time I did. 100% off network, zero connection to any of my other accounts, forwarded to an e-mail I do not use for any other purpose. If the Chromebook becomes infected, I will just wipe it clean and start over. No big deal.

If I am on WiFi or a network whose configuration is beyond my control, I enable a VPN on all devices.

Return to Business Operations and Development