Client meltdowns?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CathysTaxes  
sjrcpa wrote:
CathysTaxes wrote:Water Buffaloes?

Is that what Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton were members of?

Fred Flintstone and Barney Rueble.
Last edited by CathysTaxes on 18-Mar-2022 4:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

CathysTaxes  
SumwunLost wrote:I believe it was the Raccoons. My wife introduced me to that show my first New Year here - we lived in NJ at the time and I believe The Frog broadcast it for something like 24 hours straight.

Loved that show.
Last edited by CathysTaxes on 18-Mar-2022 4:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

CathysTaxes  
southparkcpa wrote:
SumwunLost wrote:I believe it was the Raccoons. My wife introduced me to that show my first New Year here - we lived in NJ at the time and I believe The Frog broadcast it for something like 24 hours straight.

They always talked of the “Grand Pouba”. The leader of the lodge. :)

When a coworker was elected leader if his Moose club, we called him the Grand Pouba!
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Had one today.
3rd year with this client, and every year she has an absolute meltdown about something.
Got the docs yesterday via USPS overnight. Prior year(s) installment in place. Bright person, but she just loses her cool.
I already did the extensions, but told her I would try to get them done asap as she will owe and I don't want to jeopardize the IPA.
Bumped her in front of about 50 clients that were all here before her.
10 minutes into the call she is screaming at me so much I hung up the phone on her. She calls back and asked if I hung up and I said absolutely, no one gets to scream at me on the phone.

Will be sending disengagement letter asap after the deadline.

Beagle  
Had a conversation yesterday with a client and she commented that people just don't show "respect" to others anymore. I think that was the perfect word (and told her). If someone shows me respect, I'll go out of my way to provide better service. Don't really understand why people don't understand it. You yell at my - we are done. I don't put up with that type of drama from anyone in my life.

ReckedCPAEA wrote:Had one today.
3rd year with this client, and every year she has an absolute meltdown about something.
Got the docs yesterday via USPS overnight. Prior year(s) installment in place. Bright person, but she just loses her cool.
I already did the extensions, but told her I would try to get them done asap as she will owe and I don't want to jeopardize the IPA.
10 minutes into the call she is screaming at me so much I hung up the phone on her. She calls back and asked if I hung up and I said absolutely, no one gets to scream at me on the phone.

Oh goodness, sounds like a train wreck, your name suits that lol

CathysTaxes  
ReckedCPAEA wrote:Had one today.

If she did that to me, she would have gone back to the end of the line. Not my fault she owes.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Had a lady come in to pick up her return the first of this week. Had it ready for a month but she kept saying she was too busy to get by. When she comes in, I made the mistake of asking how she was. She burst out crying and proceeds to tell me that she's awful, that her fiance just broke up with her, etc., etc. Barely holds it together while I try to go over a few things. The whole time she is checking her phone, sniffling, crying. I really did feel sorry for her, but really nothing I could do. This was a first for me! Hope I don't witness it again!

Dear train wreck,

This is not your station.

Though I've seen my share of tears this year and I do feel bad for some of them.

ATSMAN  
Had a scene at the office yesterday. Couple owes $14860 and they were expecting a refund because of enhanced CTC. The husband is a self employed carpenter who neglected to make estimated tax payments.

They started screaming at me that I did not know what I was doing, they made about the same money so they should get a big refund.
I let them blow off their steam then told them that I will ONLY explain once why they are paying so pay attention otherwise here is your paperwork, get out!.

The fellow showed me the finger but the wife begged me to explain to them and I did and they walked away angry but understood the problem :cry:

ATSMAN wrote:The fellow showed me the finger but the wife begged me to explain to them and I did and they walked away angry but understood the problem :cry:

And as soon as I had payment, a disengagement letter would be sent out. I have ZERO tolerance for that crap.

ATSMAN  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:
ATSMAN wrote:The fellow showed me the finger but the wife begged me to explain to them and I did and they walked away angry but understood the problem :cry:

And as soon as I had payment, a disengagement letter would be sent out. I have ZERO tolerance for that crap.

I agree with you completely. Another client used the F** word with me because he did not like the answer to his question. Once his check cleared I sent a disengagement letter. The funny thing is I still prepare his parent's returns. They are nice people. His mom is a sweet old lady. She only asked me once if I would take him back and I said that our working style is so different it would cause more problems, so he is better of at HRB!

Had a couple of clients stumble around dazed and shocked this season because their refunds were so huge. Very happy to pick up their returns

Preppie  
I wish I was better at predicting the meltdowns. I rarely get the ones I predict and just as rarely see one coming.

This year's best was probably the woman who quit her job in 2020 to focus on her real estate investments (which are net negative cash flowing). She filed early this year, then called me a couple of weeks later to say she had been turned down for a(nother) mortgage because her tax return shows no income. You need to amend the return to show income.
It was my refusal to amend that drew her ire.

I also had a real estate partnership of two brothers. I told them last year their constant reorganizing and retitling of properties was exceeding my accounting abilities. They uploaded their stuff this year with more of the same and I told them they really needed a CPA. I got an email from them the next day tersely firing me. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Business Operations and Development