Would you write a letter like this?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Client is a decent one. Pays top $$. Very tax compliant.

I've known them for a while, the taxpayer immigrated from South Korea, works hard with her own successful bakery, and for several years has been paying estimated taxes and filing on time "under my watch".

She is married to a US citizen, she is trying to get her own citizenship, and she asked me to write this:

Would it be possible for you to write a letter confirming that you are in the process of or have completed filing the extension for the 2021 JOINT return for XXXX and XXXXX?

Is this risky? WWYD?

Who is the letter for?

You're confirming a fact.
I wouldn't have much issue with this.
~Captcook

Being current with tax obligations is an essential part of becoming a US citizen (first hand experience). This is a reasonable request. Can you prepare a reasonable estimate of tax due with the extension now? If so, you might consider doing it for a good client and providing them with a copy of the extension Form 9325 and the vouchers to pay tax due on April 18th. Depending on where she is in the citizenship process, you may be helping her a very great deal at minimal extra effort and risk.

Did you , or will you prepare the extension?

If it were my client I would prepare the extension and attach it to the letter.

Clearly stating a fact.
(If they file and pay on time, and you don't do an extension, you might have to shift your status quo this year to comply?)

MikeH  
I would have no problem writing that letter.
Mike Hartfield
Bullhead City, Arizona
Cell: 818/433-5359

smtcpa  
Yes, why not?

Frankly  
Yes, why not?

There have been many, many instances posted in these forums warning of dire consequences should one respond to a "comfort letter". It's no wonder there is apprehension. In any case, stating facts devoid of opinion and speculation is no cause for concern.

No problem here. But I wouldn't attach anything especially the extension. If they ask for it then I'd have to get a signed release from the client to share information with a 3rd party.

Return to Business Operations and Development