Drake name control?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I can't tell if this is a Drake issue or if it affects all software vendors.

First year 1040 client. Has an apostrophe in their last name. e.g. "O'Connor"

Drake throws an efile error. Stating that only an ampersand, hypen or less than symbol (huh?) are valid characters in an individual's name. I call Drake, they tell me that this is a recent change (October 2021?) by the IRS to 1040 name control. Which suggests it affects all software vendors this year. I can't find anything online.

It appears the client's prior firm used software that allowed an apostrophe. But I wonder if it merely appeared for presentational purposes and was not in the efile schema.

Has anyone else encountered this?

CathysTaxes  
My guess is it effects all software vendors. The apostrophe, comma, and double quotes are common characters used to delimit fields, or in the case of double quotes, enclose a string, when creating csv files to be sent to another software application.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I use Drake and have encountered this for years. Another item Drake cannot handle is my client who has IV after his last name because he is the fourth. Dealing with the apostrophe issue just requires removing it to make Drake happy. Whoever told you it was recently implemented by IRS is incorrect. I never had this issue with UltraTax or any other software, and I think it's probably because those other software programs put the name in the format IRS wanted behind the scene instead of forcing the user to do it.

Return to Business Operations and Development