Felt Like IRS Tech Support Down the Stretch

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Preppie  
Anyone else have a large increase in clients asking questions about how the use the online payment functions for the IRS? 25-30 questions in the past week from clients about how to pay their taxes. Even a few non-client calls to the office that just wanted (free) help on how to pay.

We try to be helpful when we can, but we don't spend a lot of time figuring that part out for clients. Curious if other tax firms are providing detailed support in that area.

Most of my clients think payment due dates are merely a suggestion (the same ones who don’t want an extension because that would be just awful and a black mark at the IRS). But, yes, I have seen an uptick in queries this year. Apparently my predecessor did all of that for them. Ahem, dear client, I have my predecessor’s files, so I know the truth.

ATSMAN  
Preppie wrote:Anyone else have a large increase in clients asking questions about how the use the online payment functions for the IRS? 25-30 questions in the past week from clients about how to pay their taxes. Even a few non-client calls to the office that just wanted (free) help on how to pay.

We try to be helpful when we can, but we don't spend a lot of time figuring that part out for clients. Curious if other tax firms are providing detailed support in that area.

We do NOT answer any tax or process questions from non clients. I just had a tough call with a fellow yesterday.

However for our clients we provide them a quick tutorial by way of screen shots of the IRS Direct Pay and the comparable portal for state tax payment. I have found that providing screen shots with the options that they need to select highlighted cuts 90% of calls. Just a suggestion.

Return to Business Operations and Development