Tax practice management software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi,

I am trying to implement tax practice management software (TaxDome). Currently, I am just getting familiar with it, and trying to figure out how to mesh it with our system and what our clients are used to.

I am sure there will be clients that won't want to use the client portal etc.

How do you deal with that? do you have to have a different set of procedures for the "not tech savy" clients?
Does that almost create more work and confusion?

For example, normally we mail out paper organizers. So do I need to figure out who will want paper organizers and who wants an electronic version in the portal?

Thanks for any help, or advice.

I have clients ranging from 20s all the way up to their 80s. Some have grown frustrated with TaxDome but they just hate technology, but I still force them to use it. Others have said it is the easiest system they have ever used and they are "average at best" with technology.

My opinion is if you continue catering to the desires of clients that want everything done via paper, you will never progress into the modern era. You can still provide STELLAR service to clients by forcing them to utilize portals. In introducing TaxDome, I really did not give anyone a choice on the matter, I did not lose any clients, and I, for the first time, had clients actually upload all of their documents instead of requesting I meet them to exchange.

That said, I still meet to exchange documents with a few "cream of the crop" clients--it is truly a handful and only because they pay me A LOT of money each year.

smtcpa  
If you are already not using a portal and similar technology, it will be a process. I've been using a portal for 10 years so most clients use it. I still have some older clients who want a paper copy. That's simple, I just mail a paper copy. A few years ago I started charging $25 or more for a paper copy. That moved a lot to the portal. For new clients, I explain the tech we use and they either accept it or choose someone else.

I do still mail out paper organizers to some clients. I should stop that practice eventually.

Just remember, it won't be perfect on day one. It evolves every year. By the way, I did a demo of TaxDome last week and it looks incredible. That may be the next evolution of my technology.

smtcpa wrote:
Just remember, it won't be perfect on day one. It evolves every year. By the way, I did a demo of TaxDome last week and it looks incredible. That may be the next evolution of my technology.

It is a game changer. If they implement a few key things it would then truly be STELLAR, but I still spend so much less time tracking down crap and doing the administrative nonsense. I can send out the engagement contracts and questionnaires (organizers) in just a few minutes and then track everything based on pipeline stages...unreal!

smtcpa  
What key things are you hoping for? When I saw the demo, I kept saying "finally, someone gets it!"

CornerstoneCPA wrote:
It is a game changer. If they implement a few key things it would then truly be STELLAR, but I still spend so much less time tracking down crap and doing the administrative nonsense. I can send out the engagement contracts and questionnaires (organizers) in just a few minutes and then track everything based on pipeline stages...unreal!

How well does it integrate with lacerte? That’s what I use for tax software so I’d like for it to not add too many extra steps

To make it a truly great platform, it should have a VERY tight integration with two-way sync with QBO at minimum, inclusive of balances due for each client. They need to expand it to pull payment status from a real accounting system so you can lock documents to payment status without having to utilize TD's very lousy invoicing processes and Stripe or CPACharge.

As to integration with Lacerte, it has a printer driver to print to TD from any program. I retain copies of everything in OneDrive, so I just use Lacerte's PDF printer to generate the documents I want and then upload to TD via the TD Desktop app. Works more efficiently than SmartVault and Lacerte, IMO, which always presented me with challenges and so I abandoned the integration, which was indeed very tight in theory...just not reliable.

You can notify clients of uploads immediately but I prefer to use a message template for the "next steps" once I have completed a return, and I attach the uploaded documents to the message itself with directions and a checklist of things they need to complete. I find it very efficient; it just becomes a matter of clients actually logging in to view everything, which is why I also enable reminders and create a task even if it is something like "I read Greg's most recent message."

Great info!,

Another question I have is regarding the organizer. Our normal system involves printing out organizers from Lacerte and mailing them out (each one specific to each client's prior year information). How can you do that electronically with TaxDome?

Do you use a fillable pdf? do you print it to TaxDome from Lacerte?

The questionnaire is fine because it is generic for the type of return, but the organizer is specific to each client...

I ditched traditional organizers and just utilize questionnaires. TaxDome isn't designed to utilize organizers in their "old sense"--TD really needs to retitle as "Questionnaire," because that is all they are (and is 100% fine by me).

If you wanted to simply provide PDF a client could print, fill out, and then scan and upload to TD, then sure, you can print to a PDF from Lacerte and upload it to TD. Complete waste of time, IMO.

Ahhh, that is interesting. So no personalized organizer...I like that idea. I am sure a lot of our clients dread filling it out anyway.

I wonder if clients will forget to supply certain documents, meaning we will have to chase that information down?

smtcpa  
UltraTax is able to print a "checklist" style of organizer which is 2-3 pages of the information they had in the prior-year return. We don't expect clients to fill out an organizer but I do expect them to use their checklist so they don't forget things. We upload these to client portals, or mail them if they request mail.

telaxman wrote:Ahhh, that is interesting. So no personalized organizer...I like that idea. I am sure a lot of our clients dread filling it out anyway.

I wonder if clients will forget to supply certain documents, meaning we will have to chase that information down?

How do you determine which clients to send a paper version to?

e.g. is it from experience from prior years?

Or do you wait for them to call in and request it?

I think the way you are doing it will probably suit our clients. i.e. nothing to fill out, just boxes to check, because I think they might be lost without prior year info.

[quote="smtcpa"]UltraTax is able to print a "checklist" style of organizer which is 2-3 pages of the information they had in the prior-year return. We don't expect clients to fill out an organizer but I do expect them to use their checklist so they don't forget things. We upload these to client portals, or mail them if they request mail./quote]

smtcpa  
Yes, from prior year requests. We can code it to print to paper or print to PDF. Most are electronic.

I know if I were the client having my taxes prepared by someone else, I would certainly want a checklist to help me remember what I need. Otherwise, it would be hit or miss for both me as the client and the preparer.

telaxman wrote:How do you determine which clients to send a paper version to?

e.g. is it from experience from prior years?

Or do you wait for them to call in and request it?

I think the way you are doing it will probably suit our clients. i.e. nothing to fill out, just boxes to check, because I think they might be lost without prior year info.

smtcpa wrote:UltraTax is able to print a "checklist" style of organizer which is 2-3 pages of the information they had in the prior-year return. We don't expect clients to fill out an organizer but I do expect them to use their checklist so they don't forget things. We upload these to client portals, or mail them if they request mail./quote]

smtcpa wrote:UltraTax is able to print a "checklist" style of organizer which is 2-3 pages of the information they had in the prior-year return. We don't expect clients to fill out an organizer but I do expect them to use their checklist so they don't forget things. We upload these to client portals, or mail them if they request mail.

+1000. UltraTax's checklist organizer has been a game changer with my clients. It helps them gather their documents and it doesn't waste their time copying tax documents onto the organizer and waste my time reconciling the inevitable mistakes made.

telaxman wrote:Thanks for any help, or advice.

I'm just starting the implementation of a practice management system as well. It's smart to start this process now because there will ultimately be a learning curve and it's best to get it tested in the off/extension season.

It's almost impossible to get every single client to use any portal, so there will always be exceptions to whatever system you have. If your tax software has the ability to set certain clients for a dead tree version of the organizer instead of the PDF, definitely spend the time on setting that up so you can print selected ones to paper.

I send organizers to all clients, either PDF or paper. I'm always happy to pay the postage costs of mailing paper organizers to non-technological clients because even if they just use my envelope to store their tax documents, the cost is miniscule compared to the headaches avoided during the busy season.

telaxman wrote:I wonder if clients will forget to supply certain documents, meaning we will have to chase that information down?

The automations will help you chase it down, including reminders. It truly is incredible how much less time I spend chasing things. I can select all clients I want to e-mail the same thing and they're sent separately via my own e-mail system. I can see exactly what stage each client is in, what they still need to provide to me, etc.

Honestly, the biggest issue has been people not hitting SUBMIT on the questionnaire/organizer. I just send them a message with a task to review the questionnaire and click SUBMIT, then check off the task so the reminders stop.

As to UT's checklist, I generated my own for 1040 clients to go through and identify what tax documents they may be overlooking. It gets distributed via an e-mail or message (can't remember) as soon as I add them as a tax client for the year and send out the engagement contracts (I have two).

Excellent! I am pretty excited about much less time spent chasing down client documents. Truly one of the worst parts of the job!

I was also wondering about the "approval feature" of TaxDome. For instance, I could upload for the client a pdf of the return and request "approval" before uploading the finalized return, invoice, and 8879's. Is that a good idea? perhaps to cut down on changes after the return is finished?

Or is that just creating an extra step, which could be annoying for clients?

I personally have not really found the approval function useful, but my workflows are often different. Clients receive a watermarked copy, anyway, so it is effectively a final copy and it is more efficient for me to print everything at once than in various batches to obtain approval. I have started recording Loom videos that explain the tax returns, and that has helped cut down on questions while also catching some errors before they ever even make it to the client since recording the videos forces me to think everything through, again.

Once that is all done, I send a message via a template to the client with a link to their secure Loom video, all documents are attached to the message with instructions, and I send the eFile forms. If anything needs to be discussed or changed, it is done via Messaging and depending on what is changed, I'll save various screenshots to my permanent file.

I use Canopy and so far it's been perfect for me. I have the ability to ACH my monthly clients for $1 an ACH transaction, saves so much money on credit card fees and no more sending reminders to people to pay their bill for my monthly clients. It comes with unlimited client storage so my clients have had very positive feedback for the portal system. KBA's only cost $1.25 a signature, so very affordable, and it has unlimited regular signatures.

That is interesting that you send Loom videos. I have never heard of that.

How long does that take you? and what sort of thing are you explaining?

e.g. You owe this much for Federal, it will be auto withdrawn on April 15th, you have to pay estimates, please use print out the vouchers and mail to this address, that kind of thing?

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I personally have not really found the approval function useful, but my workflows are often different. Clients receive a watermarked copy, anyway, so it is effectively a final copy and it is more efficient for me to print everything at once than in various batches to obtain approval. I have started recording Loom videos that explain the tax returns, and that has helped cut down on questions while also catching some errors before they ever even make it to the client since recording the videos forces me to think everything through, again.

Once that is all done, I send a message via a template to the client with a link to their secure Loom video, all documents are attached to the message with instructions, and I send the eFile forms. If anything needs to be discussed or changed, it is done via Messaging and depending on what is changed, I'll save various screenshots to my permanent file.

Depends, some are very quick (few minutes) while my complicated tax returns can be 25 minutes or so to review. I go over it the same way I would in person except it's virtual and without interference of questions by the client. I explain total income and sources, gross tax and various adjustments, etc., comparative to prior year if I have it, tax planning strategies if I was able to identify anything specific, etc. I want my clients to understand their taxes rather than simply asking what they owe or how much they're getting back, signing, and moving on.

There are actually quite a number of virtual tax preparers that utilize Loom for this purpose.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development