Would you charge for meeting with a bookkeeper?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
My clients bookkeeper reached out, wanting to set up a meeting to make sure their QuickBooks transactions are correct and everything.

I'm struggling to decide if I should charge a consultation fee or not on this.

Thoughts?

jon  
Yes, if you do not charge that will start to expect that. How long have you had the client, how sharp is bookkeper, could end up to be a win, win if it improves the communications and quality of work.

CathysTaxes  
Absolutely! Otherwise you will receive constant inquiries for quick questions because it's easier for them to call you instead of looking at notes, instructions, etc
Cathy
CathysTaxes

For my most valued clients, probably not.

For everyone else, generally yes. Depends on a few factors.

ManVsTax wrote:For my most valued clients, probably not.

For everyone else, generally yes. Depends on a few factors.

^^ This, and:

I would charge $350 which includes a reasonable but limited amount of follow up as needed.

ATSMAN  
Yes your time is valuable unless you want to assume extra work every time the bookkeeper runs into something and you are ONLY a phone call away as their go to person for free!

I have a client who asked his bookkeeper (also his girl friend) to call me on something that any trained bookkeeper would know. My first words were I charge $x/hr. min 30 minutes so please e-mail me your acceptance before we proceed. The situation changed rather quickly and she was willing to use online resources, help screens etc. to figure it out.

When I engage a new business client I do spend some time with the client and/or bookkeeper to tell them how/when I wanted the data etc. It is up to them to figure out on their system.

I have found 30 minutes training a bookkeeper can save me a lot of time during tax prep and builds goodwill with that bookkeeper.

ATSMAN  
Bushmaster wrote:I have found 30 minutes training a bookkeeper can save me a lot of time during tax prep and builds goodwill with that bookkeeper.

I agree. Especially letting them know what you need and how you want it. I am just careful when I sense that it could turn into an extended training situation because of the bookkeepers inexperience. That turns out 90% of the time to be true when a family member who is NOT trained as a bookkeeper is performing those functions. That is where I draw the line.

I have seen many situations that caused 1040X or other amendments to be filed because of bookkeeping errors. The Covid 19 temp. regulations was a prime example.

Return to Business Operations and Development