Sharepoint for tax software database etc.

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi,

I am just getting familiar with microsoft 365 sharepoint. (The "cloud" has always confused me).

And, I am planning to use it instead of the in-office network drive (ethernet cables, firewall etc) that we currently have.

It would store all the workpapers (pdfs, and excel files, etc) and the Lacerte databases.

This seems great, because I can work on tax returns etc on lacerte remotely (at home), without using a clunky remote program like splashtop.

Are other people using sharepoint like this? is there a problem with this setup? any tips?

Thanks for your advice! 8-)

wel  
I'm a huge fan of Sharepoint, but not an expert. It's great for Excel, Word, PDF files, etc. - but I'm pretty sure that it won't work well for QB files, Lacerte files, etc.

Why do you say that?

cp_acwt  
It won't work for QB. I don't use Lacerte but I think the same would apply.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-sup ... /00/136276

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23018

telaxman wrote:Why do you say that?

Both QB and Lacerte are database files. You have to be able to read/write in a "live" sense to the "home" location of the files. Word/Excel files are different in that they download locally and you save the changes to the "home" location of the files.
I'm sure there is more appropriate technical jargon describing this, but this is how I've always thought of it.
~Captcook

Well, that is disappointing!

I read as much as i could of the link cp_acwt supplied (thanks for supplying), and it seems to me that I should be able to keep the QB file on sharepoint and work on it there by myself, and then share the QB backup file with my client by sending it to them in whatever way.

But, for Lacerte, I am not sure about...I currently am using it in the cloud/sharepoint, and I don't really see the problem.

Is the problem that the program won't receive updates? at what point will there be an issue?

Thanks for any advice on this tedious subject!

I really would like to continue to use sharepoint if possible, even if it requires some kind of work around.

Return to Business Operations and Development