for those who have bookkeepers

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
Could you share what you are billing them out at?

I'm about 45 minutes outside of NYC.
Was thinking $70-75
My friend's firm ..bigger....is charging around $135 she said..which seems up there.

I'm in WA state and effectively bill between $70-100/hr depending on experience and nature of work.
Tough to have clients find value in most bookkeeping work at more than $100/hr.
~Captcook

We have a rate assigned at $100 per hour for bookkeeping work but we do not use that for billing since we basically value bill every single job. So the goal is as much as possible.

Honestly, I think clients find more value in bookkeeping work than anything else. Most clients have no idea in the difference between bookkeeping, year end work, tax work, reviewed financial statements, etc. They look at the whole thing as 'accounting fees"

Because you are most likely delivering a hard copy product every month, quarter, 6 month, etc, I find it very easy to bill premium dollars.

Good independent bookkeepers in my area (2 hours from NYC) are getting $45-65ish, sometimes slightly higher.
If you are taking any responsibility for the work (vs an independent 3rd party) I feel it needs to be higher.

zl28  
good info - ty!

Im with Berkshire… my BK is also an EA and is smart and fast. Minimum $100. But i normally value bill to $125 or so.

Depends on what you want to pay.
1. Outsource to India.
2. $30-$50/hr that’s normal for small businesses in US for someone who knows what they are doing but doesn’t have degree.
3. Once the client is bigger business, the sky’s the limit.
4. If the bookkeeper is a CPA, that’s the higher rates I see above.

Unfortunately double entry accounting isn't intuitive and not all individuals who call themselves bookkeepers are created equal.

I'd expect close to $100/hr for quality bookkeeping work in my market. Sub-$50/hr and I'd expect to have to do a lot of adjusting journal entries with the return. Maybe even extend the return to deal with it.

There was one "bookkeeper" I dealt with that just worried about the P&L. Considered the balance sheet a dumping ground and never looked at it. Cash was negative and in the low six figures.... Go figure.

We charge $200 per month for clients that have about 40 to 80 monthly expense transactions on their statements and with 2-4 bank/card accounts.

We prefer a flat rate rather than per hour. If we have underquoted and slighted ourselves, we will provide advance notice of a rate increase accordingly.

We do not share a QBO with clients, we use QBD and provide monthly financial reports.

Return to Business Operations and Development