Remote work setup

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi,

What is the best way (program, hosting, other) to be able to work remotely?

I have a home office and most importantly want to be able to use Lacerte. Our actual office has Lacerte with the databases stored on an on-site server (ethernet cables, firewall etc).

One option would be lacerte online hosting, but that is way too expensive. Another would be remote-ing into my desktop computer at work - but programs I have used in the past haven't been great, especially with multiple monitors.

Any suggestions?

smtcpa  
I started out with Infinitely Virtual. They were good but I switched to Verito about 3 years ago. Verito is excellent, great customer service. I have UltraTax and related programs hosted there.

I've used Lacerte all my professional career. I don't fully understand all the networking logistics but here's what I've done in the past.

One firm I worked at had a terminal server that hosted the Lacerte application. I had a remote desktop connection to that terminal server from my home computer. I only had one screen at the time so didn't have to worry about multiple screens.

My current firm has an outside IT network administrator. They have us set up to use an application called Connectwise Control, which I think works similar to a VPN connection, if it isn't one already. After logging in, my workstation shows up in the dashboard and I "join" to it. My workstation at the office has four monitors and I only have three at home. But there is a router type device that my home computer connects to and the additional monitors connect to as well. When I'm in the Connectwise application, there is a function to create additional windows and I drag those windows to each of the separate monitors. You can switch between all of the office computer monitors in one window, but I find it easier to create the three windows and just switch between two office monitors if needed. It seems to handle the multi-monitor setup fairly well.

My biggest issue is connectivity. My home is rural so I'm only able to connect via wireless connection and it is not very consistent.

Here is a conversation from when I asked this a few years ago. I ended up going with Chrome Remote Desktop, but I do not work from home that often.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16268&p=143794&hilit=remote+log+in#p143794

Thanks for the responses.

Seaside CPA, how do you like Chrome Remote Desktop?

It was fairly simple to set up, as I was able to do it myself and I am technically challenged, LOL! It serves my purpose well for the few days that I work from home. I only work with one monitor so don't have any issues in that regard. Not sure how it would work with multiple monitors. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

My Lacerte and QBD are hosted on a Kamatera server. Works very well! By default it comes with two RDP licenses but additional ones do not cost much more. It is also behind a firewall. Between the firewall and other security software, I feel very comfortable with the setup.

It looks like there is a free trial, I might give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Cisco AnyConnect.

We use Windows Remote Desktop. It works great and we use 3 monitors. We do have fiber at our office and I have fiber at my house. There is no limitation on the programs as far as I know with Windows Remote Desktop. We use an IT provider that set it up. It was above my pay grade to figure that out.

Return to Business Operations and Development