Credit Card Fee Process

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Seaside CPA wrote:I went with CPA charge this past year. They have the option to have the clients pay the fee and stated a large portion of the CPA firms they set up are now going with that option. I'm of the opinion that if the client wants to pay by credit card for the miles or cash back, they should pay for that privilege, not me.

I think it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you tack on a surcharge many, maybe most of your clients will choose not to pay with DC or CC. If you internalize it in your fee and make paying with DC or CC frictionless, I think you'll be surprised to find that the overwhelming majority of clients will pay with card. It's what we're programmed to do and anyone under the age of 70 is most likely used to being able to pay online with a card and comfortable doing so.

Either way the client is paying the additional cost, not you.

No surcharge for credit card and I prefer it because I have the funds next day. It's already built into my fees, and it is a cost of doing business in the modern economy. Suck it up is my attitude, or build it into your fees without it being itemized. It pisses me off to no end when I see a business tack on a surcharge for credit card transactions. A local restaurant did it last year and I ranted to the owner and manager about it, and I did not return for six months until they had finally removed it because they received so much kickback.

I want to implement a fee for checks, but I handle so few anymore that I don't want to risk pissing off the clients. And I make a lot of money from the few that still insist on paying by traditional check.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development