Career Tracks & Job Descriptions

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Soooo I'm finally trying to wrap my career tracks for our tax department and I feel like I'm writing the most basic job description key duties for each level you're at within a firm and I know this must be written down somewhere else. Does anyone have the key duties you would expect to perform as a 1st year associate, 2nd year associate, etc. all the way up to Manager (level 9 essentially).

We're getting up to 10 people in the tax department and need tracks for everyone including new folks.

e.g. for Tax Associate:

[*]Has built and understanding of how seniors and managers handle their duties and responsibilities and is working towards exhibiting those characteristics themselves in anticipation of promotion

[*]Has deeper proficiency in preparing 1040, 1065, 1120-S and 1120. If they have a deep knowledge of entity vs. 1040s then they are working on rounding out their skill-set by volunteering to prepare alternative types of returns

[*]Has built an intuition about what may be missing from a tax return and understands how to request it. Drafts emails to clients for the seniors and managers to revise and send. Drafted emails show an understanding of why we need the information and provides a clear request to the client free of jargon.

[*]Has firm understanding of the preparation of tax workpapers and is working on speeding up their preparation and their clarity for review by seniors and managers.

sjrcpa  
I think the AICPA has things like that.

Return to Business Operations and Development